Defining the True Value of an Experiment

• Thread starter dazhuo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the concept of a true value in experimental science is often considered meaningless. This is due to the presence of discrete measurement and the fact that most results are reported in terms of the mean and standard deviation, which only apply to the sample and not the population. The error of the mean about the real value can be calculated using the standard deviation divided by the square root of the number of measurements. However, this does not necessarily indicate the accuracy of the measurement, as accuracy and precision are two separate concepts.
dazhuo
Questio:we take repeated measurements in experiment, and we can get average x. unfornately, it's not true value of the measuerement. how can we difine the true value?

If we eliminate all systematic errors, take infinite number of measurements and then take the average(by math, it's the average of population, not sample but also not pratical). Is that average the true value? anybody can clearfy it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Do you mean: why can the expectation value of the value you get when throwing a die be 3,5 when we can only get integer numbers and is there a way to define a number which we will get most of the time?

From the Central Limit Theorem (correct me if that's wrong,) taking the average of an infinite number of measurements will be the true value, assuming the measurements are independent.

If there is error in the measurements (there is always error in the measurements), you can never get the "true" value through experiment alone.

Not to mention the fact that the result in most experiments is a real number (e.g. 1.33634) and there is no such thing as an "exact" real number.

There are of course exceptions, an experiment where we know before we start that the answer will be either "2 apples" or "3 oranges" can of course result in an "exact" answer.

dazhuo said:
Questio:we take repeated measurements in experiment, and we can get average x. unfornately, it's not true value of the measuerement. how can we difine the true value?

If we eliminate all systematic errors, take infinite number of measurements and then take the average(by math, it's the average of population, not sample but also not pratical). Is that average the true value? anybody can clearfy it.

In experimental science, 'error' does not mean mistake. An essential source of error is the discrete nature of measurement- a ruler does not have infinitely fine gradations, for example. When reporting results, one does not say (or presume to say) what the 'true value of X is'. In fact, one can argue that the concept of "true value" is meaningless.

Repeated measurements, if independent, tend to form a Gaussian distribution, so experimental results are presented in terms of the mean and standard deviation. Careful papers (think stuff coming out of a National Standards Lab) give an accounting for the various sources of measurement error and the magnitudes of the error.

Andy Resnick said:
In experimental science, 'error' does not mean mistake. An essential source of error is the discrete nature of measurement- a ruler does not have infinitely fine gradations, for example. When reporting results, one does not say (or presume to say) what the 'true value of X is'. In fact, one can argue that the concept of "true value" is meaningless.

Repeated measurements, if independent, tend to form a Gaussian distribution, so experimental results are presented in terms of the mean and standard deviation. Careful papers (think stuff coming out of a National Standards Lab) give an accounting for the various sources of measurement error and the magnitudes of the error.

I am reading the data analysis. the mean and standerd deviation is just for the sample but not for the population. And what we really want is the error of mean about the real(i do not wana use 'true') value. And from the material on my hand, the error of mean about the real value is standerd s/sqrt(N). where s is standerd deviation and N is the times of measurements. Is my understanding correct?

f95toli said:
Not to mention the fact that the result in most experiments is a real number (e.g. 1.33634) and there is no such thing as an "exact" real number.

The example you give is a rational number, 133634/100000.

There are many exact real numbers that are not rational e.g. [itex] \sqrt{2} , \pi [/itex].

Sorry, I forgot the ...

dazhuo said:
I am reading the data analysis. the mean and standerd deviation is just for the sample but not for the population. And what we really want is the error of mean about the real(i do not wana use 'true') value. And from the material on my hand, the error of mean about the real value is standerd s/sqrt(N). where s is standerd deviation and N is the times of measurements. Is my understanding correct?

I'm not sure- I don't understand what you are saying. Are you referring to a t-test? That's the probability that your measurement is indistinguishable from another measurement.

Andy Resnick said:
I'm not sure- I don't understand what you are saying. Are you referring to a t-test? That's the probability that your measurement is indistinguishable from another measurement.

maybe i should clarify my point. we take the avearge of our repeated measured values. And also calculate the standerd deviation 'S'. but the standerd deviation 's' is just spread of all our measured values. what we really want is how close our avearge 'X' to real value(which we can never achieve). Therefore I am a little worrid how we know the deviation magilitude of 'X' to real value. anybody can answer? I just started to study data analysis, so maybe my question is just nonsense.

most memembers of this forum are phy undergraduate? or graduate? I hope I can discuss problems with some ppl interested in phy.

dazhuo said:
maybe i should clarify my point. we take the avearge of our repeated measured values. And also calculate the standerd deviation 'S'. but the standerd deviation 's' is just spread of all our measured values. what we really want is how close our avearge 'X' to real value(which we can never achieve). Therefore I am a little worrid how we know the deviation magilitude of 'X' to real value. anybody can answer? I just started to study data analysis, so maybe my question is just nonsense.<snip>.

Ah- you are interested in the difference between "accuracy" and "precision". A low standard deviation means the precision is high. It's possible to have a highly precise measurement with poor accuracy. It's also possible to have a highly accurate measurement suffering from poor precision.

There's a lot of information about this out there; you may be interested in the notion of 'accepted values' of quantities.

dazhuo said:

The reason why average value has different standard deviation than the variable is the definition of average value, which includes sumation:
It is easy to show that the squared standard deviation of a sum (of independent variables) equals the sum of squares of standard deviations. So if a variable has standard deviation s, then the standard deviation of a sum of N independend measurements of this variable will have standard deviation sqrt(N)*s. The average is defined as the sum of N values divided by N, so it has standard deviation sqrt(N)*s/N=s/sqrt(N).
This is something we would expect, since sumation of multiple measurements with errors of different signs causes partial canceling of the errors, which results in smaller relative error.

Related to Defining the True Value of an Experiment

What is the purpose of defining the true value of an experiment?

The purpose of defining the true value of an experiment is to accurately measure and understand the results of the experiment. This helps to determine the validity and significance of the experiment, and allows for proper interpretation and application of the findings.

How is the true value of an experiment determined?

The true value of an experiment is determined by comparing the results of the experiment to a control group or baseline, and using statistical analysis to determine the significance and reliability of the results. It is important to consider factors such as sample size, experimental design, and potential biases when determining the true value of an experiment.

What factors can influence the true value of an experiment?

There are several factors that can influence the true value of an experiment, including sample size, experimental design, control groups, and potential biases. It is important to control for these factors as much as possible in order to accurately determine the true value of an experiment.

Why is it important to define the true value of an experiment?

Defining the true value of an experiment is important because it allows for proper interpretation and application of the results. Without an understanding of the true value, the findings may be misleading or inaccurate, and could potentially lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions.

Can the true value of an experiment change over time?

Yes, the true value of an experiment may change over time as new information and data become available. This is why it is important to continually evaluate and re-evaluate the results of an experiment, and to consider any potential changes in the true value as new evidence emerges.