Definite integral approaches infinity

In summary, the original integral can be evaluated using trigonometric substitution and the limit to infinity can be found using l'Hospital's rule. This results in the integral equaling 1/2.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

[itex]180\int_5^\propto \frac{2}{(4+x^{2})^{3/2}} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Substitutions: (x=2 tan z).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've computed the integral and ended up with [itex]180 [\frac{x}{2(4+x^2)^{1/2}}][/itex] from 5 to infinity.

I could've easily computed the limit of 5, but couldn't have found the limit approaches infinity, as I'm always ending up with 0, although my textbook and symolab calculator says that it's 1/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonHathaway said:

Homework Statement

[itex]180\int_5^\propto \frac{2}{(4+x^{2})^{3/2}} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Substitutions: (x=2 tan z).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've computed the integral and ended up with [itex]180 [\frac{x}{2(4+x^2)^{1/2}}][/itex] from 5 to infinity.

I could've easily computed the limit of 5, but couldn't have found the limit approaches infinity, as I'm always ending up with 0, although my textbook and symolab calculator says that it's 1/2.

Either use l'Hospital's rule or else note that for x > 0 we have
[tex] \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+4}} = \frac{x}{x \sqrt{1 + 4x^{-2}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+4 x^{-2}}} \to 1 [/tex]
as ##x \to \infty##.

Likes 1 person
[itex]\propto[/itex] means 'is proportional to' and should not be used to indicate infinity [itex]\infty[/itex]

Likes 1 person
If it is infinity and not saying proportional to. Then you can calculate the limit to infinity pretty easily.

Take [itex]\frac{x}{2\sqrt{4+x^{2}}}[/itex] and then make the numerator [itex]\sqrt{x^{2}}[/itex] and pull out the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

So now you can call the whole thing [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{x^{2}}{4+x^{2}}}[/itex]

Now apply L'Hopital's rule.

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{2x}{2x}}[/itex]

this way, the 2x and 2x cancel to give you [itex]\sqrt{1}[/itex] multiplied by [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Which was your answer.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a definite integral approaching infinity?

A definite integral approaching infinity is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as the input variable (usually denoted as x) increases without bound. In other words, the integral is calculated over a range of values that become larger and larger, resulting in an unbounded result.

2. How is a definite integral approaching infinity calculated?

To calculate a definite integral approaching infinity, the function is first evaluated at a specific upper limit, and then the limit of the integral is taken as that upper limit approaches infinity. This is represented mathematically as lim [∫ab f(x) dx] as b → ∞.

3. What does it mean when a definite integral approaches infinity?

If a definite integral approaches infinity, it means that the function being integrated is increasing without bound as the input variable increases without bound. This can be interpreted as the area under the curve of the function becoming infinitely large.

4. What are some applications of definite integrals approaching infinity?

Definite integrals approaching infinity have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the total work done by a force as an object moves an infinite distance, or to determine the total profit earned by a company as it produces an infinite number of products.

5. Are there any limitations to using definite integrals approaching infinity?

Yes, there are limitations to using definite integrals approaching infinity. One limitation is that the function being integrated must have a limit as the input variable approaches infinity. Additionally, the integral may not converge if the function being integrated increases too quickly, leading to an infinite result.