Definite Integral w/ Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary: Which gives you: \frac{d}{dx}\int_a^{g(x)}f(t)dt= f(x)\frac{dg}{dx}[/itex] Which gives you: \frac{d}{dx}\int_a^{g(x)}f(t)dt= f(x)\frac{dg}{dx}[/itex] Which gives you: \frac{d}{dx}\int_a^{g(x)}f(t)dt= f(x)\frac{dg}{dx}[/itex] Which is your anti-derivative.
lLovePhysics

Homework Statement

Find F'(x) if

[tex]F(x)=\int_{0}^{x^3}(\sin (t^2))dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did:

[tex] F(x)= -\cos (t^2)\biggr]^{x^3}_{0}[/tex]

and I get: [tex] F(x)= -\cos (x^6) +1[/tex]

[tex] F'(x)= sin (x^6)(6x^5) [/tex]

However, the book's answer is [tex]F'(x)= 3x^2 \sin(x^6) [/tex]

How did they come up with this answer if the derivative of x^6 is 6x^5 ??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh, wherever did your cosines come from?

Sorry, original post edited. I was looking at the wrong problem.

lLovePhysics said:

Homework Statement

Find F'(x) if

[tex]F(x)=\int_{0}^{x^3}(\sin (t^2))dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did:

[tex] F(x)= -\cos (t^2)\biggr]^{x^3}_{0}[/tex]

and I get: [tex] F(x)= -\cos (x^6) +1[/tex]

[tex] F'(x)= sin (x^6)(6x^5) [/tex]

However, the book's answer is [tex]F'(x)= 3x^2 \sin(x^6) [/tex]

How did they come up with this answer if the derivative of x^6 is 6x^5 ??

Thanks.
Allright!
Your anti-derivative is totally wrong.
The derivative of -cos(t^{2})=2tsin(t^{2}), which does not agree with your original integrand.

arildno said:
Allright!
Your anti-derivative is totally wrong.
The derivative of -cos(t^{2})=2tsin(t^{2}), which does not agree with your original integrand.

Oh ok. How do you solve it then?

I tired the u-substitution method:

[tex]F(x)=\frac{1}{2}\int^{x^3}_{0}\sin u(u^{-1/2}) du [/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Not at all, you can't write an anti-derivative to that integrand in terms of elementary functions.

Use the fundamental theorem of calculus instead.

You don't find the antiderivative- you don't need to. Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t)dt= f(x)[/tex]
Handle the fact that the upper limit is a function of x rather than x itself with the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^{g(x)}f(t)dt= f(x)\frac{dg}{dx}[/itex]

1. What is the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that if a function f(x) is continuous on the interval [a,b], then the definite integral of f(x) from a to b can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of f(x) and plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. How is the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used to evaluate definite integrals?

The Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used by finding the antiderivative of the function and then plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration. This allows for the evaluation of definite integrals without having to use Riemann sums or other numerical methods.

3. What is the relationship between the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function f(x) is the antiderivative of that function evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. The Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus extends this concept by stating that the antiderivative of a continuous function can be used to evaluate the definite integral of the same function.

4. Can the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be used for all functions?

No, the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can only be used for continuous functions on a given interval. If a function is not continuous, other methods such as the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus or numerical methods must be used to evaluate the definite integral.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus has many real-life applications, including calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes, finding the average value of a function, and solving problems in physics and engineering that involve the accumulation of quantities over time or distance.