Definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function.

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral with a given function and a question about writing it in terms of different variables. The integral is rewritten and simplified using different variables, but it is concluded that the integral was not originally written correctly.
crocomut
I have the following integral:

[itex]\int_0^{f(x,y)}{f' \sin(y-f')df'}[/itex]

Now suppose that f(x,y) = x*y, my question is how do I write the integral in terms of x and y only? Can I do something like this?

Since [itex]df=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/itex] we can obtain:

[itex]\int_0^{x y}{x' y' \sin(y'-x' y') (\frac{\partial f'}{\partial x'}dx'+\frac{\partial f'}{\partial y'}dy'})[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should be careful to use different letters for variables in the integrand and in the limits of integration. So write the integral as
[tex]\int_0^{f(x,y)} f'(u,v) sin(v- f'(u,v)) d(f'(uv))[/tex]

Now, what do you mean by f' where f is a function of two variables? The derivative with respect to some parameter, t, so that [itex]df= (\partial f)(\partial x)(dx/dt)+ (\partial f)(\partial y)(dy/dt)[/itex]? (NOT df'- that would involve two derivatives).

First, of course, if f= xy, then f' is NOT x'y'. By the product rule, f'= xy'+ x'y. And "y" in the sine would not automatically become y'. The integral would be
[tex]\int_0^{x(t)y(t)}(x(s)y'(s)+ x'(s)y(s))sin(y(s)+ x'(s)y(s)+ x(s)y'(s))(f_x(x(s),y(s)) x'(s)+ f_y(x(s),y(s))y'(s)) ds[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
First, you should be careful to use different letters for variables in the integrand and in the limits of integration. So write the integral as
[tex]\int_0^{f(x,y)} f'(u,v) sin(v- f'(u,v)) d(f'(uv))[/tex]

Now, what do you mean by f' where f is a function of two variables? The derivative with respect to some parameter, t, so that [itex]df= (\partial f)(\partial x)(dx/dt)+ (\partial f)(\partial y)(dy/dt)[/itex]? (NOT df'- that would involve two derivatives).

First, of course, if f= xy, then f' is NOT x'y'. By the product rule, f'= xy'+ x'y. And "y" in the sine would not automatically become y'. The integral would be
[tex]\int_0^{x(t)y(t)}(x(s)y'(s)+ x'(s)y(s))sin(y(s)+ x'(s)y(s)+ x(s)y'(s))(f_x(x(s),y(s)) x'(s)+ f_y(x(s),y(s))y'(s)) ds[/tex]

Thanks for your reply, I apologize for the confusion but I don't think I was clear, the apostrophe was meant to indicate different letters for variables, not a derivative. With that in mind, I will rephrase my question and actually simplify the integrand since that is not what is important.

Suppose we have [tex]\int^{f(x,y)}_0{g(u,v)dg}[/tex]. Given [tex]f(x,y) = xy[/tex] and [tex]g(u,v) = uv[/tex], now since [tex]dg=\frac{\partial g}{\partial u}du+\frac{\partial g}{\partial v}dv = vdu + udv[/tex], is the integral then equal to:

[tex]\int^{f(x,y)}_0{g(u,v)dg} = \int^{xy}_0{u v^2 du} + \int^{xy}_0{u^2 v dv}[/tex]

Last edited:
What you have written makes no sense. You can certainly have [tex]\int g dg[/tex] but "g" now is a dummy variable- you cannot then assert that g= uv.

What is true is that [tex]\int_0^{xy} g dg= \left[\frac{1}{2}g^2\right]_0^{xy}= \frac{1}{2}x^2y^2[/tex].

Excellent. I knew it didn't make sense and just needed confirmation, I got the integral from an obscure paper on a computational code and that confirms what I suspected - the integral is not written properly. Thanks.

1. What is a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function?

A definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve of a multivariable function within a specified range. It involves evaluating the function at different points within the given range and summing up the results to find the total area.

2. How is a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function different from a regular definite integral?

The main difference between a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function and a regular definite integral is that the limits of integration are not constant in the former. In a regular definite integral, the limits are fixed numbers, while in a definite integral with variable limits, the limits can be variables or functions.

3. What is the purpose of using a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function?

The purpose of using a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function is to find the total amount of a certain quantity, represented by the function, within a given range. This can be used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to solve real-world problems.

4. How do you evaluate a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function?

To evaluate a definite integral with variable limits of a multivariable function, you need to first determine the limits of integration, which can be given as functions or variables. Then, you need to integrate the function with respect to each variable, considering the given limits. Finally, you can plug in the values of the limits to find the total area under the curve.

5. Are there any applications of definite integrals with variable limits of a multivariable function?

Yes, there are many applications of definite integrals with variable limits of a multivariable function. Some common examples include finding the work done by a variable force, calculating the center of mass or centroid of a three-dimensional object, and determining the volume of a region with varying cross-sections.