Definite integration and stuff

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: It is just a variable. The second mistake is that you are trying to integrate the function f (x) over the interval [0,x]. This is not what the equation is asking for. You should be trying to integrate f (x) over the interval [0,∞).
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says:
f (x)=x2+7x +∫0x(e-tf (x-t)dt.
Find f (x).

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is:
Consider the integral:
I=∫0x (e-tf (x-t)dt
We know that ∫abf (x)dx=∫abf (a+b-x)dc
So using it here:
1/ex0xetf (t)dt----(1)
Leaving the "1/ex part for now.
From the original equation f (t)=t2+7t +∫0te-t f (0)dt
And we can see that f (0)=0
So f (t)=t2+7t
Using (1) without 1/ex...
0xet(t2+7t)dt
Which can be calculated to ex(x2+5x -5)
Which is when divided by ex becomes
x2+5x-5=I
Now adding I to the original equation of f (x)..
Thus f (x)= 2x2+12x -5x.
But in the solution they have done something else. So what is wrong with my solution to this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says:
Find f (x).

Homework Equations

None

What I did is:
Consider the integral:
I=∫0x (e-tf (x-t)dt
So using it here:
1/ex0xetf (t)dt----(1)
So f (t)=t2+7t
0xet(t2+7t)dt
x2+5x-5=I
Thus f (x)= 2x2+12x -5x.
But in the solution they have done something else. So what is wrong with my solution to this question?

You are scrambling ##x## and ##t## up left and right. I don't see how you can conclude ##f(t)=t^2+7t## and then go on to derive that ##f(x)=2x^2+12x-5##. Does that even make any sense?? I think you should look back and figure out where you went wrong yourself. There are really too many places to mention.

Last edited:
Likes mooncrater
Interesting problem.
First off, you'll get quicker and more replies if you use LATEX to write your equations. It's not too hard to learn, see this. (I myself don't know much yet!)
Secondly, $$t$$ is a variable in the integral therefore by substituting for $$t$$ as a constant in the original equation, you can't write $$f(0)$$ in $$\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)\ dt$$
Thirdly, in the solution that you saw was the answer recursive ?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Likes mooncrater
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says:
Find f (x).

Homework Equations

None

What I did is:
Consider the integral:
I=∫0x (e-tf (x-t)dt
So using it here:
1/ex0xetf (t)dt----(1)
So f (t)=t2+7t
0xet(t2+7t)dt
x2+5x-5=I
Thus f (x)= 2x2+12x -5x.
Others can continue to point where you went wrong. I am only telling you a fast approach.
I suggest you the Leibniz theorem. It's a handy tool whenever you see another variable involved in integral, like t here.

Likes mooncrater
certainly said:
Interesting problem.
First off, you'll get quicker and more replies if you use LATEX to write your equations. It's not too hard to learn, see this. (I myself don't know much yet!)
Secondly, $$t$$ is a variable in the integral therefore by substituting for $$t$$ as a constant in the original equation, you can't write $$f(0)$$ in $$\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)\ dt$$
Thirdly, in the solution that you saw was the answer recursive ?
Cheers.
Thanks...
And now I understand why I can't put ##t ## in ## f (x) ##. So what I understand now is that this method is useful for nothing. I had one problem in my mind...
If I differentiate ## f (x) ## using the Leibnitz rule, then I'll get:
## f'(x) = 2x+7+e^{-x}f (x-x)##
And since ##f (0)=0 ##{is it true? }
Therefore $$f'(x)=2x+7$$
And if we integrate it (sounds like I am again jumping back and forth):
##f (x)=x^2+7x +C##
So does that mean that the integral in the original equation is a constant?

mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says:
Find f (x).

Homework Equations

None

What I did is:
Consider the integral:
I=∫0x (e-tf (x-t)dt
So using it here:
1/ex0xetf (t)dt----(1)
So f (t)=t2+7t
0xet(t2+7t)dt
x2+5x-5=I
Thus f (x)= 2x2+12x -5x.
The first mistake is the bold part. You cannot treat 1/ex as constant.

Raghav Gupta said:
You cannot treat 1/ex as constant.
But Its an integral of ##t## therefore any thing else would be treated as a constant. Isn't it?

mooncrater said:
Thanks...
And now I understand why I can't put ##t ## in ## f (x) ##. So what I understand now is that this method is useful for nothing. I had one problem in my mind...
If I differentiate ## f (x) ## using the Leibnitz rule, then I'll get:
## f'(x) = 2x+7+e^{-x}f (x-x)##
And since ##f (0)=0 ##{is it true? }
Therefore $$f'(x)=2x+7$$
And if we integrate it (sounds like I am again jumping back and forth):
##f (x)=x^2+7x +C##
So does that mean that the integral in the original equation is a constant?
Yeah it's a constant.
What is its value?

mooncrater said:
But Its an integral of ##t## therefore any thing else would be treated as a constant. Isn't it?
No it is two variables. It's a parametric equation in terms of t.
That is why Leibniz theorem is handy here.

For better understanding of this theorem see this thread.
It is bit similar to this question.
Certainly three of us were involved in that thread also.:biggrin:

Likes mooncrater
Raghav Gupta said:
No it is two variables
But an integral is of one variable only. That's why we use ##dt## here and not ##dt## as well as ##dx##.
What I think is that the upper limit ##x## is just an ##upper limit##. Though it's a ##function## of ##x## but the integral is of ##t##. What do you think?

mooncrater said:
But an integral is of one variable only. That's why we use ##dt## here and not ##dt## as well as ##dx##.
What I think is that the upper limit ##x## is just an ##upper limit##. Though it's a ##function## of ##x## but the integral is of ##t##. What do you think?
Think of differential equations.
Think variable separation form. Correlate that all.
Here x can have any value, that is why it is a variable.
t is obvious as it is being integrated, upper limit therefore can have any value when x is changed.
That is why depending on x value integral would have different value.

Likes mooncrater
Raghav Gupta said:
Yeah it's a constant.
What is its value?

In the equation ##f(x) = x^2 + 7x + \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt##, what do you get by taking ##x \to 0##?

Anyway, using a Laplace-transform approach I get a solution quite different from your supposed solution ##f(x) = x^2 + 7x + C##.
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says:
Find f (x).

Homework Equations

None

What I did is:
Consider the integral:
I=∫0x (e-tf (x-t)dt
So using it here:
1/ex0xetf (t)dt----(1)
So f (t)=t2+7t
0xet(t2+7t)dt
x2+5x-5=I
Thus f (x)= 2x2+12x -5x.

If you know about Laplace transforms, using them would be the simplest way to go on this problem, because the last term ##\int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt## is the convolution of the two functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x) = e^{-x}## and so has transform equal to the product of the transforms of ##f## and ##g##. You end up with a simple equation to determine the transform of ##f##, and can then determine ##f## itself by transform inversion.

Ray Vickson said:
In the equation ##f(x) = x^2 + 7x + \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt##, what do you get by taking ##x \to 0##?

Anyway, using a Laplace-transform approach I get a solution quite different from your supposed solution ##f(x) = x^2 + 7x + C##.
I know that what we get when we take x = 0 in equation. I was asking to OP.
Mooncrater can you confirm the answer?

Raghav Gupta said:
I know that what we get when we take x = 0 in equation. I was asking to OP.
Mooncrater can you confirm the answer?

I thought I had canceled this response before it was posted, but somehow it went through anyway. It seems the PF document handling system is tricky and does not always produce desired results.

Ray Vickson said:
I thought I had canceled this response before it was posted, but somehow it went through anyway. It seems the PF document handling system is tricky and does not always produce desired results.
It is still there. Are you talking of whole of post 13?

Raghav Gupta said:
It is still there. Are you talking of whole of post 13?

Yes, but it is even more messed up than I realized. I started to reply to your post # 8, then decided to not post my response---I had changed my mind about responding. Later, I responded to the first post #1 and posted that. Somehow, the two things ended up in the same response to a totally different message from what I wanted. The response I never posted plus the response I did post both ended up in the same, wrong, message.

But you could have deleted the message.

Is delete button removed recently from PF ?

Raghav Gupta said:
But you could have deleted the message.

How can I delete something if I don't know it is there? Besides, the other part of the final message was something I chose to keep.

Also: it used to be the case (I have not checked if it is still true) that once a message has been responded to, the original poster can no longer delete the message---that would allow for somebody to delete someone else's messages.

Oh, I see the button is not available for homework forums.

Is the answer coming by Leibniz theorem wrong, f(x) = x2 + 7x ?
What is the wrong part in post 5 ?

Raghav Gupta said:
Oh, I see the button is not available for homework forums.

Is the answer coming by Leibniz theorem wrong, f(x) = x2 + 7x ?
What is the wrong part in post 5 ?

The poster in #5 has mis-used Leibniz rule.
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt = e^{-x} f(0) \; \Leftarrow \; \text{wrong!} \\
\frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt = e^{-x} f(0) + \int_0^x e^{-t} f'(x-t) \, dt \; \Leftarrow \; \text{correct}
$$

You can see right away that the function ##f(x) = x^2 + 7x## does NOT solve the equation
$$ f (x)=x^2+7x + \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt, $$
because that would require that ##f(x) = f(x) + \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt,## so would require that we have ##\int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) \, dt = 0 ## for all ##x##---which is false.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Ray, what might have happened is you pressed the +Quote button, which stores the text of the post in a buffer. If you wind up not actually replying to that particular post, the quoted text is still in the buffer, so when you reply to another post, I'm guessing that your reply included what was copied earlier.

Isn't Leibniz rule
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(t) = f(h(x))h'(x) - f(g(x)) g'(x) $$ ?
So it should be
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) = e^{-x}f(0) ? $$ as second term would be zero because differentiation of a constant which is the lower limit is zero

Last edited:
No the leibniz integral rule is:-
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}f(x,t)\ dt=\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\ dt+f(b(x),x)\frac{\partial b}{\partial x}-f(a(x),x)\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}$$

Last edited:
yup, was editing at the time.

What is that, a term hiding in post 25 at right?

What are you talking about ?

Mark44 said:
Ray, what might have happened is you pressed the +Quote button, which stores the text of the post in a buffer. If you wind up not actually replying to that particular post, the quoted text is still in the buffer, so when you reply to another post, I'm guessing that your reply included what was copied earlier.

certainly said:
No the leibniz integral rule is:-
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}f(x,t)\ dt=\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\ dt+f(b(x),x)\frac{\partial b}{\partial x}-f(a(x),x)\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}$$

certainly said:
What are you talking about ?

I think he is worried about the effects of having ##a(x)## in the lower limit.

Raghav Gupta said:
Isn't Leibniz rule
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(t) = f(h(x))h'(x) - f(g(x)) g'(x) $$ ?
So it should be
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x e^{-t} f(x-t) = e^{-x}f(0) ? $$ as second term would be zero because differentiation of a constant which is the lower limit is zero

No. It should be exactly what I wrote in #22.

$$-f(a(x),x)\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}$$
That last term is not visible in post 25 , that is what I am talking about.
I had to quote to see.

It's visible here, @Ray Vickson is it not visible to you too...

<h2>1. What is definite integration?</h2><p>Definite integration is a mathematical concept used to find the exact area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.</p><h2>2. How is definite integration different from indefinite integration?</h2><p>Definite integration involves finding the exact area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, definite integration gives a specific numerical value, while indefinite integration gives a function.</p><h2>3. What is the purpose of using definite integration?</h2><p>Definite integration is used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to find the total value, area, volume, or other quantities that can be represented by a function. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.</p><h2>4. What are the basic steps for evaluating a definite integral?</h2><p>The basic steps for evaluating a definite integral are: 1) finding the antiderivative of the function, 2) substituting the upper and lower limits of integration into the antiderivative, 3) subtracting the two values to find the difference, and 4) simplifying the result if possible.</p><h2>5. Can definite integration be used for functions with multiple variables?</h2><p>Yes, definite integration can be used for functions with multiple variables, but it requires using multiple integrals. The process is similar to evaluating a single integral, but with additional steps for each variable. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the volume, surface area, and other quantities in three-dimensional space.</p>

1. What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical concept used to find the exact area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. How is definite integration different from indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, definite integration gives a specific numerical value, while indefinite integration gives a function.

3. What is the purpose of using definite integration?

Definite integration is used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to find the total value, area, volume, or other quantities that can be represented by a function. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

4. What are the basic steps for evaluating a definite integral?

The basic steps for evaluating a definite integral are: 1) finding the antiderivative of the function, 2) substituting the upper and lower limits of integration into the antiderivative, 3) subtracting the two values to find the difference, and 4) simplifying the result if possible.

5. Can definite integration be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, definite integration can be used for functions with multiple variables, but it requires using multiple integrals. The process is similar to evaluating a single integral, but with additional steps for each variable. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the volume, surface area, and other quantities in three-dimensional space.