1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Integration by Substitution

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\int^2_1 6x\sqrt{x-1}dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let [itex]u=x-1[/itex].
    Then, [itex]u+1=x[/itex],
    and [itex]du=dx[/itex].

Continued from problem statement,
    [itex]=6 \int^1_0 (u+1)u^{\frac{1}{2}}du[/itex]
    [itex]=6 \int^1_0 u^{\frac{3}{2}} + u^{\frac{1}{2}}du[/itex]
    [itex]=6(1^{\frac{3}{2}} + 1^{\frac{1}{2}})[/itex]
    [itex]=6(2)[/itex]
    [itex]=12[/itex]

My Web submission program (for University) has told me this is wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any help!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Umm, could it be that you forgot to find the antiderivative function...?

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    you have to put x-1 back in for u after you integrate and before you solve it for the definite numbers. Also, why did you change the bounds from 1 to 2, to 0 to 1?

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

theRukus is doing the definite integral under a u-substitution, so the limits must be changed from x = 1 to x = 2 into u = 0 to u = 1 . That is perfectly legitimate: the problem is that the integration hasn't actually been carried out; tR just put 1 ( and 0 ) into the integrand!

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5
    interesting! I was never taught that, so I always just used a and b temporarily until I put the original variable back in, and with it the original bounds.

Yes, integrating an integral is a good idea. (why is it so hard to see the obvious sometimes?)

7. Sep 28, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Working with the transformed definite integral under transformed limits of integration* can save a bit of writing. You are basically still doing the calculations you would have done to evaluate the definite integral in x anyway, but you don't have to take the time writing out the antiderivative in x to set up the evaluation...

*Common integration error: forgetting to transform those limits... so don't forget.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook