Definition of a Cone: Does it Include Zero Vector?

In summary: Another way to ask this question is, is there a way to extend the concept of a cone from ordered vector spaces to arbitrary vector spaces?No, there is not a way to extend the concept of a cone from ordered vector spaces to arbitrary vector spaces.
Bashyboy
On this wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_(linear_algebra) , "a subset ##C## of a real vector space ##V## is a cone if and only if ##\lambda x## belongs to ##C## for any ##x## in ##C## and any positive scalar ##\lambda## of ##V##."

The book in this link https://books.google.com/books?id=P...does the cone contain the zero vector&f=false defines the cone as always containing the zero vector.

I am slightly perplexed, especially since a few other sources I have come across define it as having zero, or simply define ##\lambda \ge 0##, which implies that it contains the zero vector. So, my first question is, does the cone contain the zero vector? How is it typically defined?

My next question is, why does ##V## have to be a real vector space? Can't we have cones in ##\mathbb{C}^n## or ##M_n(\mathbb{C})##? In the wiki article, I see that they say the concept of a cone can be extended to those vector spaces whose scalar fields is a superset of the ones they mention. So, because "##\mathbb{R} \subseteq \mathbb{C}##," the very same definition of a cone can be extended to ##\mathbb{C}^n##, without any modification?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
So, my first question is, does the cone contain the zero vector? How is it typically defined?
It is typically defined as in the Wikipedia entry. Sometimes ##\mathbf{0}## is left out, but this should be explicitly stipulated.
Bashyboy said:
My next question is, why does ##V## have to be a real vector space? Can't we have cones in ##\mathbb{C}^n## or ##M_n(\mathbb{C})##? In the wiki article, I see that they say the concept of a cone can be extended to those vector spaces whose scalar fields is a superset of the ones they mention. So, because "##\mathbb{R} \subseteq \mathbb{C}##," the very same definition of a cone can be extended to ##\mathbb{C}^n##, without any modification?
Cones are related intimately to the theory of ordered vector spaces. In this Wikipedia article, these spaces are always taken over ##\mathbb{R}## but you can in fact replace ##\mathbb{R}## by any ordered field. That explains why you will not (or: not often) encounter complex ordered vector spaces, because ##\mathbb{C}## is not an ordered field.

Last edited:
Okay, I see. So, the set of all positive semidefinite matrices in ##M_n(\mathbb{C})## as a convex cone hasn't been studied much?

Bashyboy said:
Okay, I see. So, the set of all positive semidefinite matrices in ##M_n(\mathbb{C})## as a convex cone hasn't been studied much?
Probably not, would be my first guess.

You could try to see where you get when you regard ##M_n(\mathbb{C})## as a vector space over ##\mathbb{R}## instead of ##\mathbb{C}##.

1. What is the definition of a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that consists of a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a single point called the apex. It can also be thought of as a two-dimensional shape that is rotated around a fixed line in space.

2. Does a cone include the zero vector?

Technically, a cone does not include the zero vector because the base of the cone is considered to be a two-dimensional shape, and the zero vector is a point in one-dimensional space. However, some sources may refer to the apex of the cone as the zero vector, as it is the point where all the vectors on the curved surface converge.

3. Can a cone have a zero radius?

No, a cone cannot have a zero radius because the base of the cone is defined by a circle, which by definition has a non-zero radius. If the radius were to approach zero, the base of the cone would become a point, and the shape would no longer be considered a cone.

4. What is the difference between a cone and a cylinder?

A cone and a cylinder are both three-dimensional geometric shapes that have circular bases, but they differ in their cross-sectional shapes. A cone has a circular cross-section that tapers to a point, while a cylinder has a constant circular cross-section from one end to the other.

5. Are there different types of cones?

Yes, there are different types of cones, including right cones, oblique cones, and circular cones. Right cones have a base that is perpendicular to the apex, while oblique cones have a base that is not perpendicular to the apex. Circular cones have circular bases, while other types of cones can have elliptical or polygonal bases.