Definition of a Lorentzian Wormhole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Falcus
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I was reading into traversable wormholes when I came across this definition from Matt Visser; 'If aMinkowski spacetimecontains a compact region Ω, and if the topology of Ω is of the form Ω ~ R × Σ, where Σ is a three-manifold of the nontrivial topology, whose boundary has topology of the form ∂Σ ~ S2, and if, furthermore, thehypersurfacesΣ are all spacelike, then the region Ω contains a quasipermanent intrauniverse wormhole'. My knowledge of relativity is extremely minimal as I am currently studying A levels. I was wondering if someone could break this down for me? I have come across a lot of the terminology before and didn't understand it at the time so thought maybe it was finally time to ask.

Thanks in advance
Falcus
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Falcus said:
I came across this definition from Matt Visser

Can you give a reference to the specific article or paper? It would help to have more context.