Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Definition of a Lorentzian Wormhole

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    I was reading into traversable wormholes when I came across this definition from Matt Visser; 'If aMinkowski spacetimecontains a compact region Ω, and if the topology of Ω is of the form Ω ~ R × Σ, where Σ is a three-manifold of the nontrivial topology, whose boundary has topology of the form ∂Σ ~ S2, and if, furthermore, thehypersurfacesΣ are all spacelike, then the region Ω contains a quasipermanent intrauniverse wormhole'. My knowledge of relativity is extremely minimal as I am currently studying A levels. I was wondering if someone could break this down for me? I have come across a lot of the terminology before and didn't understand it at the time so thought maybe it was finally time to ask.

Thanks in advance
    Falcus

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you give a reference to the specific article or paper? It would help to have more context.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3

martinbn

Science Advisor

I am guessing the book : Lorentzian wormholes

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted