1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a Magnet Period?

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    I'm trashing the template here because I'm not looking for help with how to solve my homework problem. Instead, I'm looking for what my question actually means!

I'm given an equation that describes a magnetic field. One of the specs I'm given is that the magnet period is 10cm. What in the world does this mean? I tried Googling but got nowhere. Heck, how can a period have units of distance? There really isn't much other context, and I'd prefer not to post the question on here for the sake of the person that made the question. If this helps, which I doubt, it has to do with a stationary magnetic field with a particle - an electron - going at relativistic speeds through the field. That's not what my question to you all is about though.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's a variable spatial magnetic field with that repeats every 10cm then the meaning is perfectly clear. The magnetic field is B*sin(2*pi*x/(10cm)+phase). I'm not sure why you won't post the original question.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    That is exactly what I was looking for. You have answered my question. Much appreciated. I am not a physics major, so that was not as intuitive as it should be.

And I didn't post the question for university copyright purposes. This is not homework per se (it's not graded or anything), but it's the creator of the question's intellectual property, and I respect that.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Glad to help. But I think posting a quoted question here from a copyrighted work would fall under 'fair use' of the material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted