What is the definition of a matrix in function form?

In summary, a matrix is a rectangular arrangement of mn numbers, in m rows and n columns, often represented within brackets. It can also be seen as a linear or bilinear map, a function on a set of points, or a binary or stochastic function. The definition of a matrix in function form involves a function with a domain of pairs of integers, where the value at a point (j,k) is a_{j,k}.
Nipon Waiyaworn
My teacher told me to find the definition of matrix which is in function form, but haven't seen it.
The definition of matrix that I know is a rectangular arrangement of mn numbers, in m rows and n columns and enclosed within a bracket, but it is not right which my teacher wants.
I want to know what the definition of matrix which is in function form
help me please

Physics news on Phys.org
Nipon Waiyaworn said:
My teacher told me to find the definition of matrix which is in function form, but haven't seen it.
The definition of matrix that I know is a rectangular arrangement of mn numbers, in m rows and n columns and enclosed within a bracket, but it is not right which my teacher wants.
help me please

This question sounds stupid. You mustn't be asked to find a definition??

You can always try to google linear transformation and see if this helps you.

Math_QED said:
This question sounds stupid. You mustn't be asked to find a definition??
Why is it stupid?

Because it is ambiguous.

Nipon Waiyaworn said:
help me please
You are both right. A matrix is a rectangular arrangement of numbers. At least normally, if we consider linear transformations and the matrix elements from an area like the real numbers. (In principle, one could arrange anything this way and call it a matrix, e.g. in image computations where they are pixels). So back to
$$
A = \begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & \ldots & a_{1n} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & \ldots & a_{2n} \\ \vdots & \vdots & & \vdots \\ a_{m1} & a_{m2} & \ldots & a_{mn} \end{bmatrix}
$$
Now if we have an array ## x = (\,x_1\; , \; x_2 \; , \; \ldots \; , \; x_n \,) ## we can define
$$
A \cdot x = ((Ax)_1, \ldots , (Ax)_m) = \begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & \ldots & a_{1n} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & \ldots & a_{2n} \\ \vdots & \vdots & & \vdots \\ a_{i1} & a_{i2} & \ldots & a_{in} \\ \vdots & \vdots && \vdots \\ a_{m1} & a_{m2} & \ldots & a_{mn} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ \vdots \\ x_j \\ \vdots \\ x_n \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} a_{11}x_1 + a_{12}x_2+ \ldots + a_{1n}x_n \\ a_{21}x_1+ a_{22}x_2+ \ldots + a_{2n}x_n \\ \quad \quad \quad \vdots \\ a_{i1}x_1 + a_{i2}x_2 + \ldots + a_{in}x_n \\ \quad \quad \quad \vdots \\ a_{m1}x_1+ a_{m2}x_2 + \ldots a_{mn}x_n \end{bmatrix}
$$
The arrays ##x## and ##A\cdot x## are called vectors and ##A## is a linear transformation. There is a bit more what should be said here about coordinates, dimensions and components, but basically this is it. You can look it up, e.g. on Wikipedia and the links there. But to get an impression what it's all about, choose ##n=m=2##, some integers for ##A##, and some examples for ##x##. Then you can draw pairs of ##x , Ax## as arrows in a plane coordinate system with ##x=x_1## and ##y=x_2## axis where the arrows originate in the origin and end at the point ##(x_1,x_2)##, resp. ##((Ax)_1,(Ax)_2)## and see what ##A## does to ##x=(x_1,x_2)##.

Another way to look at a matrix is that it is just a function on a doubly indexed set of points. The set of points can be abstract. It need not be a set of numbers or anything else. A function on this set just assigns a number to each of its elements.

This idea is the same as the idea of a function on any set for instance a function on the real line. The function ##f(x) = x^2## assigns a number to each point on the line. The matrix ##\begin{bmatrix} 1& 5\\-7 & 0 \end{bmatrix}## is the function ##f(a_{11}) = 1## ##f(a_{12}) = 5## ##f(a_{21}) = -7## ##f(a_{22}) = 0##

Last edited:
A "matrix function" can represent either a linear map or a bilinear map . For 3- 4- and higher linear maps you usually use tensors.

A matrix A is associated with the function given by ##\mathbf x\mapsto A\cdot \mathbf x##.

I think your teacher meant the definition of a matrix as a function with domain being the set of pairs of integers ##(j,k): 1\le j \le m, 1\le k\le n##. In this definition the value of this function at a point ##(j,k)## is ##a_{j,k}##.

That is a general point of view in abstract mathematics, that everything (or almost everything) is a function. For example, a sequence is a function with domain being the set of natural numbers, and one can write ##a(n)## instead of ##a_n##.

Just to generalize a bit from what Hawkeye said, a matrix may be seen as a function in other ways: as an incidence matrix, it may be a binary-valued function ( i.e., function into ##\{ 0,1\} ## with value 0 at ##a_{i,j}## if there is no edge between vertices ##i,j##, similarly with Stochastic matrices, assigning to a pair of states ##i,j## the transition probability between ##i,j##. etc.

1. What is a matrix in function form?

A matrix in function form is a way of representing a set of numbers or variables arranged in a rectangular grid or array. Each element in the matrix is defined by its position in the grid and can be expressed as a function of the input variables.

2. How is a matrix in function form different from a regular matrix?

A regular matrix is typically represented using numbers or variables directly, while a matrix in function form is represented by functions of variables. This allows for more flexibility in manipulating the matrix and performing operations on it.

3. What are the advantages of using a matrix in function form?

Using a matrix in function form allows for more complex mathematical operations to be performed on the matrix, as well as easier manipulation of the matrix's elements. It also allows for the matrix to be easily incorporated into larger mathematical models or systems.

4. Can a matrix in function form have different types of functions in its elements?

Yes, a matrix in function form can have different types of functions in its elements. For example, some elements may be represented by linear functions, while others may be represented by quadratic or exponential functions. This allows for even more flexibility in representing and manipulating the matrix.

5. How is a matrix in function form used in science?

A matrix in function form is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to represent and analyze systems of equations, model physical phenomena, and solve complex mathematical problems. It is also commonly used in machine learning and data analysis to represent and manipulate large datasets.