Definition of a radical number

In summary, a radical number is a number expressed as the root of another number and can be simplified by finding the largest perfect square factor and taking its square root. A radical is different from a rational number, which is a fraction of two integers. A radical equation is an equation that contains a radical expression and can be solved by isolating the radical and squaring both sides. Radical numbers can be negative, resulting in an imaginary number or indicating the negative root of a number.
Hayker
I would love to know the definition of a radical number...JUST a radical number. I'm terrible at memorizing anything and have completely forgotton this term. I don't want any other inormation then what I am asking. All I want is a few sentences to explain a radical number. Equations are the easy part of math.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A radical number (also called a 'surd') is any number that can be written as a root of a rational number or an algebraic combination of such.

Examples:
[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is a "radical" number.

[itex]^3\sqrt{7- \sqrt{3}}[/itex] is a "radical" number.

A radical number, also known as a radical expression, is a mathematical expression that includes a square root, cube root, or other root symbol. It is used to represent a number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or decimal. For example, √2 is a radical number because it represents the square root of 2, which is an irrational number. Radical numbers are commonly used in algebra and geometry to solve equations and represent real-world quantities. They are also used in advanced mathematics to simplify complex expressions and equations.

1. What is the definition of a radical number?

A radical number is a number that can be expressed as the root of another number. It is represented by the radical symbol (√) followed by a number or expression under the radical sign.

2. How do you simplify a radical number?

To simplify a radical number, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the number under the radical sign and take its square root. This process is repeated until the number is completely simplified.

3. What is the difference between a radical and a rational number?

A radical number is a number expressed as a root, while a rational number is a number that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. All rational numbers are also radicals, but not all radicals are rational numbers.

4. What is a radical equation?

A radical equation is an equation that contains a radical expression. The goal is to isolate the radical on one side of the equation and square both sides to eliminate the radical.

5. Can radical numbers be negative?

Yes, radical numbers can be negative. When a negative number is under the radical sign, the result will be an imaginary number. However, when a negative number is outside the radical sign, it indicates the negative root of a number.