Understanding the Relationship Between Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta

In summary, the conversation discusses two different formulas involving sums and the Dirac and Kronecker deltas. The first formula involves a sum with x being a real number, and the second formula involves a sum with n being an integer. The first formula can be written in terms of the Dirac delta function and the second formula can be written in terms of the Kronecker delta. It is important to note that the sums equal zero when n is not equal to zero, and this can be seen by considering specific values in the sum. These formulas can be useful for future reference.
andrewm
Is it true that [tex] \sum_x e^{i(k-k')x} = \delta_{k-k'} [/tex], where [tex]\delta[/tex] is the Kronecker delta? I've come across a similar relation for the Dirac Delta (when the sum is an integral). I do not understand why [tex]k-k' \neq 0 [/tex] implies the sum is zero.

Edit: In fact, I'm really confused, since it seems that when the [tex]x=0...\inf[/tex] and k=k' the sum is infinite. So is it a Dirac delta?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In that sum, x should be an integer, so it is usually written as n.
The sum should be from n=-N to n=+N, and divided by 2N+1.
Then in the limit N-->infinity, it is the Kronecker delta.

There are really two different formulas here. For [itex]x[/itex] real (not necessarily an integer), we have

[tex]
\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{ikx}=2\pi\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta(x-2\pi n)
[/tex]

where [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] is the Dirac delta function.

For [itex]n[/itex] an integer,

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^{N}e^{2\pi ikn/N}=N\delta_{n0}
[/tex]

where [itex]\delta_{nm}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta. To get an idea of why this sums to zero when [itex]n\ne 0[/itex], consider the case [itex]N=4[/itex]; then the four numbers being summed are [itex]i^n, (-1)^n, (-i)^n, 1^n[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you both, I've written these handy formulas for my future reference.

[tex]N\delta_{n0}[/tex] should have been [tex]N\delta_{n\mathop{\rm mod}N,0}[/tex]
That is, [itex]N[/itex] if [itex]n=0,\pm N,\pm 2N, \ldots,[/itex] and zero otherwise.

What is the definition of delta as a sum?

The definition of delta as a sum is a mathematical concept that represents the change in a quantity over an interval. It is calculated by taking the sum of infinitely many small changes over the interval.

How is delta as a sum related to limits?

Delta as a sum is closely related to the concept of limits in calculus. It is a way of approximating the exact value of a function at a specific point by taking smaller and smaller intervals and summing them together.

What is the notation for delta as a sum?

The notation for delta as a sum is the Greek letter delta (Δ) followed by the variable and the interval over which the sum is being taken. For example, Δx represents the change in x over an interval.

Can delta as a sum be used to find the area under a curve?

Yes, delta as a sum can be used to find the area under a curve by approximating the curve with smaller and smaller rectangles and summing their areas together. This is known as the Riemann sum.

In what other fields is delta as a sum used?

Delta as a sum is not only used in mathematics, but also in physics, engineering, and economics. It is a fundamental concept in understanding change and rates of change in various systems and processes.