Definition of electrical branch

In summary, a generator does not represent an electrical branch because it has zero impedance connecting two nodes.
nebbione
Hi everyone! I wanted to know why in the circuit analysis a generator doesn't represent an electrical branch?
And the second question is if two resistors are in series on a wire, does it represents only a branch(the series of the resistance) or two branches ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A branch is a single length conductor with zero impedance connecting two nodes.
The potential is the same along the whole length of the branch and at both nodes.
There is therefore only one current flowing in any branch; this is called the branch current.

Does a generator conform to this definition?

Studiot said:
A branch is a single length conductor with zero impedance connecting two nodes.
Zero impedance? Where did you get this requirement from?
I did not find anywhere (yet) this definition. I thought that anything between two nodes is a branch (if there is no other node).

Just a couple of internet places where they don't assume this zero impedance for a branch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodal_analysis
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/2.html

Regarding OP: Can you show details of the situation where the generator is not considered "a branch"?

Strictly, even a resistor has a node at each end.

You connect nodes by branches.

Mostly humans are intelligent enough to condense this to including the resistor in the 'branch', but computers are not.

Thus a generator is simply a 'component' with two nodes (terminals).

Studiot said:
Strictly, even a resistor has a node at each end.
Even when you have two series resistors in a "branch"?

I thought that to have a node you need to have at least three branches meeting at that point. Not every point or terminal is a node. In a simple series circuit with 10 resistors and one source, for example, there are no nodes.

PS. Maybe your terms are from a different field than circuit analysis based on Kirchhoff's rules?

Last edited:
So a resistor is one branch and two resistors in series still one branch ?

Even when you have two series resistors in a "branch"?

In electrical networks almost every component has to have at least two connection points to the network. The main exception that can make do with a single connection is Earth or ground.

When you are programming a computer, you have to tell the computer where these connection points are. This specifies the network to the computer.

Each connection point has to have a name or identifier.

I am calling these connection points nodes and the connections branches.

Normally you specify by what is known as the incidence matrix or a netlist.

The specification of other non electrical networks, eg pipes or roads or structural framworks follows the same pattern, except that some networks can function with only one connection to some components.

Studiot said:
Each connection point has to have a name or identifier.
I am calling these connection points nodes and the connections branches.
Normally you specify by what is known as the incidence matrix or a netlist.
OK, so we were talking about two different things. The "classical" Kirkchoff's rule "nodes" are a little different. I suppose it is left to OP to specify what is his actual problem.

This thread is a spin off from another about this by nebbione, where he clearly indicates he wants to use matrix methods.
Classic Kirchoff is not a matrix method.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641568

As a matter of interest, how would you define the branch currents in Maxwell's mesh method?

Studiot said:
This thread is a spin off from another about this by nebbione, where he clearly indicates he wants to use matrix methods.
Classic Kirchoff is not a matrix method.
OK, I had no idea about the other thread. Sorry for my interventions.

1. What is the definition of electrical branch?

The term "electrical branch" refers to a specific path or route within an electrical circuit through which electricity flows. It can also refer to a specific section or department within a larger organization that deals with electrical systems and components.

2. How is an electrical branch different from an electrical circuit?

An electrical branch is a part of an electrical circuit, while an electrical circuit is the complete path through which electricity flows. A circuit can have multiple branches, each with its own components and functions, but all connected to the same power source.

3. What are the types of electrical branches?

There are three major types of electrical branches: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series branch, the components are connected in a single path, while in a parallel branch, the components are connected in multiple paths. A series-parallel branch combines elements of both types.

4. What is the purpose of an electrical branch?

The purpose of an electrical branch is to control the flow of electricity within a circuit. By adding or removing components, changing the type of connection, or adjusting the resistance, an electrical branch can affect the amount of current and voltage in a circuit, thereby controlling the function of the circuit.

5. How do you calculate the current and voltage in an electrical branch?

To calculate the current in an electrical branch, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. To calculate the voltage, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. These calculations can help determine the optimal components and connections for a specific electrical branch.