Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Integral in Multiple Variables

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    Dyadic Cube [tex]C_{k,N} = X \in\ \mathbb{R}^{n} \frac{k_{i}}{2^{N}} \leq x_{i} < \frac{k_{i}+1}{2^{N}} for 1 \leq i \leq n[/tex]

Where [tex]k = \pmatrix {
    k_{1} \cr
    k_{2} \cr
    \vdots \cr
    k_{i} \cr
    } [/tex]

I understand that N is the level of the cubes, but what does k equal?

I'm having trouble visualizing this in my head.

[itex]A \subset \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex]

[tex] M_{A}(f)= supp_{x \in A}f(x); m_{A}(f) = inf_{x \in A}f(x)[/tex] [tex] U_{N}(f) = \sum M_{c}(f) vol_{n}C [/tex] [tex] L_{N}(f) = \sum m_{c}(f) vol_{n}C [/tex]

I get the general idea, but I can't really see this in my head.

If you take the supp value of a function on a given cube, and multiply it by the volume of you cube, you get volume again??

I can't really get the image straight.

I get that this is just an extension of single variable, so it means that U must equal L which must equal I (integral).

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2
    Let's see if we can work this out.

What does k do in your dyadic cube relation? What does it act on?

As for your second question, what is the supremum of a function in this case?

I think the answers are in asking those questions. :wink:

4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Well, from what I understand, the supf(x) is the maximum value of the function on a given cube, which in single variable gives a height to the rectangle. In multiple dimensions, I can't "see" it. I assume that this also gives.

As for what k means, I guess it means the number of cubes under the graph?

I can't find any other sources explaining this, perhaps my book just has a weird way of defining the multiple integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook