1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of liminf of sequence of functions?

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi I've come across the term lim inf ##f_n## in my text but am not sure what it means.

##\lim \inf f_n = \sup _n \inf _{k \geq n} f_k##

In fact, I am not sure what is supposed to be the output of lim inf f? That is, is it supposed to return a real-valued number, or a function itself?

Generally for a real-valued function ##\inf f## refers to ##\inf_x f(x)##. That is, it returns the largest real-valued number smaller than f(x) for all x. If that's the case, then it should follow that ##\lim \inf f_n## also returns a real-valued number? But I've always thought the implication of lim inf and lim sup is that if ##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f## then

##\lim \inf f_n = \lim \sup f_n = \lim f_n = f##

but that doesnt seem to hold if i use this definition? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2
    I really like this image, from Wikipedia. It helped get me started in understanding intuitively what limsup and liminf mean. Hopefully it does the same for you.

4. May 3, 2013 #3
    Hi Mandelbroth,

Thanks for your reply! However, that picture only describes the limsup/liminf of a sequence of points, which is itself a point, which is easier to intuit for me. But what I'm wondering is what is the limsup/liminf of a sequence of functions supposed to be? Is it to be a function itself? Or just a point? I am unclear as to the definition itself of limsup for sequences of functions....

So far I'm thinking it shouldnt be intuitive for limsup/liminf f_n to be a point, since as I mentioned earlier if ##f_n## converges to ##f## uniformly it ought to be the case that ##\lim \sup f_n = \lim \inf f_n = \lim f_n##? Thanks again for any help

5. May 3, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's a function. The value of lim inf ##f_n## at a point x is the lim inf of sequence of numbers ##f_n(x)## as n->infinity.

6. May 4, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you understand limsup/liminf of sequences of points, then this isn't too hard. Basically, you take a sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n##. Now, if I take a fixed ##x##, then ##x_n = f_n(x)## is a sequence of points. So the liminf makes sense. Now, we define

[tex]f(x) = \liminf x_n[/tex]

And we do that for any point. So the liminf of a sequence of functions is again a function ##f## which satisfies that

[tex]f(x) = \liminf f_n(x)[/tex]

for any ##x##. So you evaluate the liminf pointswize.

This is true. But uniform convergence isn't even needed. Pointswize convergence is enough.

7. May 4, 2013 #6
    Thanks guys! That makes perfect sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted