Definition of the gradient operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the gradient and divergence operators, with a focus on their definitions. The gradient operator is defined as \nabla f = \lim_{\Delta v->0} \frac{1}{\Delta v}\oint f \vec{dS}, while the divergence operator is defined as \nabla \cdot \vec{f} = \lim_{\Delta v->0} \frac{1}{\Delta v}\oint \vec{f}\cdot \vec{dS}. The discussion highlights the usefulness of the gradient operator's definition in understanding its expressions in different coordinate systems.
elgen
Hi,

I am curious if anyone here remembers the gradient operator by the following definition:

[tex]\nabla f = \lim_{\Delta v->0} \frac{1}{\Delta v}\oint f \vec{dS}[/tex].

So far I could find only one book that gives the definition above.

I find this definition quite nice as the expressions of the gradient operator in many coordinate systems naturally follow from this definition. Also, it is a good contrast with the definition of the divergence operator

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{f} = \lim_{\Delta v->0} \frac{1}{\Delta v}\oint \vec{f}\cdot \vec{dS}[/tex].

notice the change from [tex]f[/tex] to [tex]\vec{f}[/tex].elgen

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen those before. Did you mean to have [tex]\nabla f[/tex] and [tex] \Delta f [/tex] on the left hand sides, and [tex]\nabla f[/tex] in the integrand of the second?

Fixed my original post. They are the definition in terms of the limit.

What is the gradient operator?

The gradient operator, denoted by ∇ (del), is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to denote the gradient of a scalar field. It is a vector operator that operates on a scalar function and produces a vector whose magnitude is the maximum rate of change of the function at that point and whose direction is the direction of that maximum rate of change.

What is the purpose of the gradient operator?

The gradient operator is used to calculate the slope or rate of change of a scalar field at a particular point. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity such as temperature, pressure, or electric field. It is also used in optimization problems to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent.

How is the gradient operator represented mathematically?

The gradient operator is represented by the symbol ∇ (del) and is usually written as a vector with partial derivative operators, such as ∇ = ( ∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z ), where x, y, and z are the three dimensions in which the scalar field is defined.

What are the properties of the gradient operator?

The gradient operator has several important properties, such as linearity, product rule, and chain rule. It also obeys the commutative law and the distributive law. These properties make it a powerful tool in vector calculus and allow for easy calculations of gradients in complex functions.

How is the gradient operator used in practical applications?

The gradient operator is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. In physics, it is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields, while in engineering, it is used to design efficient structures and optimize processes. In computer graphics, it is used to create realistic lighting and shading effects in 3D models.