How Do You Calculate Degeneracy in a 2D Particle in a Box?

In summary, The energy levels (degeneracy) of the lowest three can be determined by finding the combination of a and b for a given k, where k is a positive integer and a and b are positive integers (principle quantum number). The minimum value of a and b are 1, meaning that k must be greater than or equal to 5. Instead of using trial and error, a systematic exploration of all possibilities can be done by calculating a few values since ##b \le3## for the three lowest levels.
HAMJOOP
Question
Particle in a box (2D)
Determine the energy levels (degeneracy) of the lowest three

I found that E = A (4a^2 + b^2)
where A is a constant
a and b are positive integers (principle quantum number)

My steps
I assume 4a^2 + b^2 = k
where k is also a positive integer

The minimum value of a and b are 1, so k ≥ 5

I would like to find the combination of a and b for a given k.
But I don't know how to solve integral solution.

Is there any systematic methods apart from trial and error ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not trial and error, but a systematic exploration of all possibilities is quite easy here. Since the problem asks for the three lowest levels, ##b \le3## and you need only calculate a few values.

What is degeneracy of energy level?

Degeneracy of energy level refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy states of a system have the same energy value. In other words, these states are degenerate and cannot be distinguished based on their energy levels.

How does degeneracy of energy level occur?

This phenomenon can occur when a system has symmetries that allow for multiple wavefunctions to have the same energy value. These symmetries can be due to geometric or physical properties of the system.

What are the implications of degeneracy of energy level?

Degeneracy of energy level can result in increased complexity in the analysis of a system, as the degenerate states must be considered together. It can also lead to unexpected behaviors, such as equal probabilities for transitions between degenerate states.

How is degeneracy of energy level related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, degeneracy of energy level arises due to the quantization of energy levels in a system. This means that only certain discrete energy values are allowed, and multiple states can have the same energy value, leading to degeneracy.

What are some real-world examples of degeneracy of energy level?

Degeneracy of energy level can be observed in atoms, where electrons in different orbitals can have the same energy. It can also occur in molecules, where different vibrational or rotational states can have the same energy value. In solid-state physics, degeneracy of energy level can lead to the formation of energy bands in materials.