Degree of a field extension

In summary: use backslashes "\" before special characters like "pi" and "xi" to make sure they are formatted correctly.
Channel4

Homework Statement

Let [itex]ζ=e^((2*\pi*i)/7), E=Q(ζ), \xi=ζ + ζ^6[/itex].

Show that [itex][Q(ζ):Q(\xi)]=2[/itex].
Find the generator of the galois group [itex]Gal(Q(ζ):Q(\xi))[/itex].
What is the minimal polynomial of [itex]\xi[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex][Q(ζ):Q]=6[/itex] and that [itex]Gal(Q(ζ):Q)[/itex] is the cyclic group of order six. So I need to show that [itex][Q(\xi):Q]=3[/itex], since [itex][Q(ζ):Q]=[Q(ζ):Q(\xi)][Q(\xi):Q]=6=2*3[/itex].
Using [itex]ζ^6+ζ^5+ζ^4+ζ^3+ζ^2+ζ+1=0[/itex] and dividing by [itex]ζ^3[/itex] we get [itex]ζ^3+ζ^2+ζ+1+ζ^-1+ζ^-2+ζ^-3=0=(ζ+ζ^-1)^3+(ζ+ζ^-1)^2-2(ζ+ζ^-1)-1=\xi^3+\xi^2-2\xi-1[/itex]. Not sure how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).edit: Whats wrong with my latex?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There are a few errors in the latex formatting of your post. Here is a corrected version:

Homework Statement: Let $ \zeta = e^{\frac{2\pi i}{7}}, \ E = \mathbb{Q}(\zeta), \ \xi = \zeta + \zeta^6$.

Show that $[\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q}(\xi)] = 2$. Find the generator of the Galois group $\mathrm{Gal}(\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q}(\xi))$. What is the minimal polynomial of $\xi$?

Homework Equations:

The Attempt at a Solution: I know that $[\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q}] = 6$ and that $\mathrm{Gal}(\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q})$ is the cyclic group of order six. So I need to show that $[\mathbb{Q}(\xi):\mathbb{Q}] = 3$, since $[\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q}] = [\mathbb{Q}(\zeta):\mathbb{Q}(\xi)][\mathbb{Q}(\xi):\mathbb{Q}] = 6 = 2 \cdot 3$. Using $\zeta^6+\zeta^5+\zeta^4+\zeta^3+\zeta^2+\zeta+1=0$ and dividing by $\zeta^3$ we get $\zeta^3+\zeta^2+\zeta+1+\zeta^{-1}+\zeta^{-2}+\zeta^{-3}=0=(\zeta+\zeta^{-1})^3+(\zeta+\zeta^{-1})^2-2(\zeta+\zeta^{-1})-1=\xi^3+\xi^2-2\xi-1$. Not sure how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

The latex error in your post was mainly in the use of brackets and parentheses. In latex, brackets are denoted by "[" and "]" while parentheses are denoted by "\left(" and "\right)". Also, when using subscripts, it is better to use curly braces "{ }" instead of parentheses "()". Additionally, you can

1. What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the dimension of the vector space formed by adjoining a new element to a base field. In simpler terms, it is the number of elements in the extension field that can be expressed as a polynomial in the base field.

2. How is the degree of a field extension denoted?

The degree of a field extension is denoted by [E:F], where E is the extension field and F is the base field.

3. What is the significance of the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is an important concept in abstract algebra and has applications in various fields such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It helps in understanding the structure and properties of fields and their extensions.

4. How is the degree of a field extension calculated?

The degree of a field extension can be calculated by finding a basis for the extension field over the base field. The number of elements in the basis is equal to the degree of the field extension.

5. Can the degree of a field extension be infinite?

Yes, the degree of a field extension can be infinite. This occurs when the extension field is not a finite-dimensional vector space over the base field. An example of this is the field of real numbers over the field of rational numbers.