1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Del operator in spherical coordinates

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the del operator in spherical coordinates?

2. Relevant equations
    I wrote the spherical unit vectors:
    [tex]\hat{r}[/tex]=sin[tex]\theta[/tex].cos[tex]\phi[/tex].[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]+sin[tex]\theta[/tex].sin[tex]\phi[/tex].[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]+cos[tex]\theta[/tex].[tex]\hat{z}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex]=-sin[tex]\phi[/tex].[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]+cos[tex]\phi[/tex].[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex]=cos[tex]\phi[/tex].cos[tex]\theta[/tex].[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]+sin[tex]\phi[/tex]+cos[tex]\theta[/tex].[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]-sin[tex]\theta[/tex].[tex]\hat{z}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start... Please help, I'm going crazy with this...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In cartesian coordinates, you have

[tex]\nabla = \hat{x} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\hat{y} \frac{\partial}{\partial y}+\hat{z} \frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/tex]

Use the chain rule to change variables to [itex]r, \varphi, \vartheta[/itex]. For example, you can write

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}+\frac{\partial \vartheta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}[/tex]

Then express the cartesian unit vectors in terms of the spherical unit vectors. Plug everything in and simplify.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook