Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions for a Delta Potential Well

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalue and eigen wavefunction of the Hamiltonian when the potential is given by V(x)=λδ(x), -a<x<a and V(x)=∞,x>a or x<-a. The approach involves using the stationary Schrodinger equation and imposing a boundary condition on the slope of the wavefunction at x=0, determined by integrating the equation and taking the limit as ε approaches zero.
Timelord_Zhou

Homework Statement

Consider this situation, V(x)=λδ(x) ,-a<x<a. V(x)=∞,x>a or x<-a.
How to find the eigenvalue and eigen wavefuntion of the Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

i can only reder to stationary Schrodinger equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

when it is ouside the well(x>a or x<-a), the wave function is zero.
But when it is inside the well, i just do not know how to solve the Schrodinger function because i do not know how to deal with the dela potential.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The Schrodinger equation may be written as

##\psi '' (x) = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi(x) +\frac{2m\lambda }{\hbar^2}\delta (x)\psi(x)##

The effect of the delta function is to impose a boundary condition on the slope of the wavefunction at ##x = 0##; i.e., a boundary condition on ##\psi'(x)## at ##x = 0##. You can discover the specific form of this condition by integrating both sides of the Schrodinger equation from ##x = -\epsilon## to ##x = \epsilon## and then letting ##\epsilon## approach zero.

thanks

1. What is a delta potential well?

A delta potential well is a type of potential energy barrier that is created by a sudden change in potential energy. It is often used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles in a confined space.

2. How does a delta potential well affect particle behavior?

A delta potential well can either trap particles inside the well or reflect them back depending on the energy of the particles. Particles with energy below the potential barrier will be trapped inside the well, while particles with higher energy can pass through the well and continue moving.

3. What is the significance of the width and depth of a delta potential well?

The width and depth of a delta potential well determine the strength and extent of the potential barrier. A wider and deeper well will have a stronger effect on particle behavior compared to a narrower and shallower well.

4. How is a delta potential well different from other types of potential wells?

A delta potential well is characterized by a very steep potential energy change, often modeled as an infinitely high and narrow barrier. This is unlike other types of potential wells, such as a square well or harmonic oscillator potential, which have smoother and more gradual changes in potential energy.

5. What applications does a delta potential well have in science and technology?

A delta potential well has many applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in studying the behavior of particles in confined spaces like quantum dots or semiconductor devices. It is also used in modeling atomic and molecular interactions, as well as in understanding the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.