Density matrices & spin correlation

In summary, when measuring A on the z axis after obtaining a measurement of S_Bz = 1/2 for B, you will measure a spin of -1/2 with probability 1. Your calculation for the probability is incorrect, as you are measuring the z component of the spin of the collapsed state |+->, not the individual spins of A and B separately.
caimzzz

Homework Statement

So I have two 1/2 spin systems A and B in a singlet state [tex] |\psi > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |+-> - |-+> ) [/tex]. The question is: If I measured B and got [tex]S_{Bz} = 1/2 [/tex]. What will I measure on state A on z axis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I think is that I will measure spin -1/2 on z axis with probability 1.
My problem is that I tried to calculate the probability for measuring A on z axis with eigenvalue -1/2 and got probability 1/2. My attempt was:
[tex] \rho = |\psi><\psi| [/tex] which is density matrix for A and B. My probability is then [tex] P = tr ( \rho |-+><-+| ) [/tex] [tex] \rho = 1/2 ( |+-><+-> - |+-><-+| - |-+><+-| + |-+><-+| ) [/tex].
And then I get: [tex] P=<-+| \rho |-+> = \frac{1}{2} [/tex][/B]
I think that my equation for probability may me wrong. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, your density matrix for A and B is correct. However, your calculation for the probability of measuring A on the z axis with eigenvalue -1/2 is incorrect. The correct calculation is as follows:

P = Tr(\rho |+-><-+|) = <+-|\rho|-+> = 1/2

The reason for this is that when you measure B and obtain an eigenvalue of 1/2 for S_Bz, you are effectively collapsing the combined system A and B into the state |+->. This means that when you measure A on the z axis, you are actually measuring the z component of the spin of the state |+->, which is -1/2 with probability 1.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a density matrix?

A density matrix, also known as a density operator, is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It takes into account the probabilities of all possible states of the system, rather than just a single state.

What is spin correlation?

Spin correlation is a measure of the relationship between the spin states of two particles in a quantum system. It can be positive, negative, or zero, indicating whether the spins are aligned, anti-aligned, or uncorrelated, respectively.

How are density matrices and spin correlation related?

Density matrices are used to calculate spin correlation in quantum systems. By taking the expectation value of the product of the two spin operators, the density matrix can provide information about the degree of spin correlation between particles.

What is the physical significance of density matrices and spin correlation?

Density matrices and spin correlation are important tools for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. They can help scientists study the entanglement and interactions between particles, as well as make predictions about the outcomes of experiments or measurements.

Can density matrices and spin correlation be applied to classical systems?

No, density matrices and spin correlation are specific to quantum systems and cannot be applied to classical systems. This is because classical systems do not exhibit the same phenomena of superposition and entanglement that are described by density matrices and spin correlation.