Particle spin probabilities

In summary, we have discussed the possible results and probabilities of a measurement on the spin component ##S_z##, as well as the possible results and probabilities of a subsequent measurement on the spin component ##S_x## given a measurement of ##S_z = -\frac{\hbar}{2}##. We also clarified the concept of conditional probabilities and how measurements on different incompatible observables can affect each other.
WendysRules

Homework Statement

A beam of spin ##\frac{1}{2}## particles is prepared in the state: ##|\psi> = \frac{3}{\sqrt{34}}|+> + \frac{5i}{\sqrt{34}}|->##

a) What are the possible results of a measurement of the spin component ##S_z##, and with what probabilities would they occur?
b) Suppose that the ##S_z## measurement yields the result ##S_z = -\frac{\hbar}{2}##. Subsequent to that result a second measurement is performed to measure the spin component ##S_x##. What are the possible results of that measurement, and with what probabilities would they occur?

Homework Equations

##P_a= |<a|\psi>|^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), the possibilities are spin up, or spin down AKA ##\pm \frac{\hbar}{2}##
The probability to measure it in spin up is ##|<+|\psi>|^2 = (\frac{3}{\sqrt{34}})^2 = \frac{9}{34}##
The probability to measure it spin down is ##|<-|\psi>|^2 =(\frac{5}{\sqrt{34}})^2 = \frac{25}{34}##

b)
The measurement in the Z-axis has no affect on the measurement on the spin for the X-axis due to them being incompatible observables. So, my thought process would be to say there is a 50% of being up/down, giving us the probability to be in spin up ##\frac{25}{68}## and spin down ##\frac{25}{68}## but I'm not if maybe they want me to use the projection postulate? But I'm not sure how to tie it in here.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the probabilities in (b) should be equal, but should they not add to 1 instead of ##\frac{50}{68}##?

kuruman said:
You are correct that the probabilities in (b) should be equal, but should they not add to 1 instead of ##\frac{50}{68}##?
The way I look at it, I have a beam that goes into an analyzer on the Z axis, then I take the spin down of that beam and send it to the analyzer on the X axis, so I can't forget that ##\frac{9}{34}## probability of being in the spin up on the Z axis. So if I include that in my calculations, I get unity (##\frac{9}{34}+\frac{50}{68}=1## ).
Essentially what I did was, I took the probability of being spin down, and since I think it'll be a 50-50 on the x axis, I just divided my spin down probability by two to get ##\frac{25}{68}##

WendysRules said:
The way I look at it, I have a beam that goes into an analyzer on the Z axis, then I take the spin down of that beam and send it to the analyzer on the X axis, so I can't forget that ##\frac{9}{34}## probability of being in the spin up on the Z axis. So if I include that in my calculations, I get unity (##\frac{9}{34}+\frac{50}{68}=1## ).
Essentially what I did was, I took the probability of being spin down, and since I think it'll be a 50-50 on the x axis, I just divided my spin down probability by two to get ##\frac{25}{68}##

That's an interesting way to look at things! You could say, regarding any particle, there are three possibilities:

1) First measurement is z-up: probability ##18/68##

2) First measurement is z-down; second measurement is x-up: ##25/68##

3) First measurement is z-down; second measurement is x-down: ##25/68##

And that would be a complete analysis of the experiment.

However, normally when you talk about a second measurement and ask about its probabilities, you are talking about the conditional probability given that the first measurement took a certain value.

Formally, you are resetting your sample space to only the particles that met the first criterion. That means focusing on the second experiment only. In this case, you have only two possibilities:

1) Second measurement is x-up: ##1/2##

2) Second measurement is x-down: ##1/2##

In any case, you'll need to understand when questioners are talking about a conditional probability, even if they do not say so explicitly.

Likes WendysRules
WendysRules said:
b)
The measurement in the Z-axis has no affect on the measurement on the spin for the X-axis due to them being incompatible observables.

I would take issue with this. For example, if the particles were initially in a state where x-up was more likely than x-down, then a measurement about the z-axis would affect the probabilities of subsequent measurements in the x-direction.

A better statement would be that a measurement about the z-axis leaves the particle in a state where a measurement of the x-spin is up or down with equal probability.

Likes WendysRules
PeroK said:
I would take issue with this. For example, if the particles were initially in a state where x-up was more likely than x-down, then a measurement about the z-axis would affect the probabilities of subsequent measurements in the x-direction.

A better statement would be that a measurement about the z-axis leaves the particle in a state where a measurement of the x-spin is up or down with equal probability.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is particle spin?

Particle spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a subatomic particle. It is a quantum property that cannot be directly observed, but can be measured indirectly through its effects on other particles.

2. What are particle spin probabilities?

Particle spin probabilities refer to the likelihood of a particle having a particular spin state when measured. These probabilities are described by mathematical equations and can vary depending on the type of particle and the experimental conditions.

3. How are particle spin probabilities calculated?

Particle spin probabilities are calculated using complex mathematical equations derived from quantum mechanics. These equations take into account the properties of the particle, the direction of measurement, and other variables to determine the probabilities of different spin states.

4. Why is particle spin important in physics?

Particle spin is important in physics because it is a fundamental property that helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It plays a crucial role in many theories and models, such as the Standard Model, and has practical applications in fields like quantum computing and particle accelerators.

5. Can particle spin probabilities be measured directly?

No, particle spin probabilities cannot be measured directly because spin is a quantum property and cannot be observed without altering the state of the particle. Instead, scientists use indirect methods, such as scattering experiments, to infer the spin probabilities of particles.