Density, volume and buoyancy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a large granite rock ball that can spin due to water pressure and its necessary area of contact with the water in order to "float". The density of granite, water pressure, and the diameter of the ball are given to calculate the required area. The equation provided attempts to solve the problem, but the individual seeking help is unsure of its relevance. They are asking for assistance in solving the problem and the conversation concludes with a suggestion on how to approach it.
clobern
1. At Lagoon, there is a large granite rock ball that is supported by water pressure, so people can spin the rock. The diameter of the rock is 1.3m. Granite has a density of 2691kg/m^3. Let’s assume a water pressure if 50 lbs/in^2. Calculate the area of the ball that must be in the water under pressure in order for the ball to “float”.
2. I was given A=2691kg/m^3 * 2.2 lbs/kg * 4/3 x pi * (.65m)^2 * in^2/50lbs = 136.2 in^2 though I am not sure what full relevancy this has to the problem. Is this the answer to the equation or a beneficial equation?
3. I am attempting to help my niece as I am the only one in my family who went beyond pre-algebra in school but this is beyond me. Any help (if possible, I know I am breaking the rules with not having attempts to solve it) would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation looks like an attempt at an approximate solution.
The idea is that the force from the water is equal to the weight of the ball.

The weight of the ball is mg, get the mass from the density and the volume ... you should know how to find the volume of a sphere.

The force from the pressure is the pressure times the area that it acts.
On the ball, the pressure on different parts results in a force in different directions - but that may not be important if the area is very small compared with the overall surface area of the ball.

1. What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is a measure of how much matter is in a given volume of a substance. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula for density is: density = mass / volume.

2. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object determines its buoyancy, or ability to float in a liquid. If an object is less dense than the liquid it is placed in, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink.

3. How does the volume of an object affect its density?

The volume of an object directly affects its density. If an object has a larger volume, but the same mass, it will have a lower density. Similarly, if it has a smaller volume, but the same mass, it will have a higher density.

4. How do you measure the volume of an irregularly shaped object?

To measure the volume of an irregularly shaped object, you can use the water displacement method. Submerge the object in a known volume of water and measure the change in water level. The change in water level is equal to the volume of the object.

5. How does the density of water change with temperature?

The density of water decreases as the temperature increases. This is due to the fact that as water molecules heat up, they move farther apart, resulting in a decrease in density. This is why ice, which has a lower temperature, is less dense than liquid water.