1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Denumerable sets

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove by induction that if set S = {x1,x2...,xn} is a set of n elements non of which are in a set A, then AuS is denumerable

2. Relevant equations
    im not sure what to put here

3. The attempt at a solution
    what does this mean
    denumerable? and how do i start this
    I know that i can say AuX when x is an element not in A
    but what do i do beyond this

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My definition is that a set is denumerable (or countable) if it's finite or can be put into 1-1 correspondence with the set of integers. What's your definition? I'm guessing A is given to be denumerable. Then if you already know AU{x} is denumerable it should be pretty easy. Think induction.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the problem asks you to prove a set is denumerable, you should already have been given a definition of "denumerable". I wouldn't be surprized if the definition were in the same chapter this problem is in. And, as tiny-tim suggested, you must have been given some information about A- without that the statement you say you want to prove is NOT true.

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    ok i will look
    However, nothing more is said about a
    thats the whole problem

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that's all that's said then you can't prove the set is denumerable. And if you haven't been given a definition of denumerable then you super can't prove it. And Halls, I'm not tiny-tim.

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6
    ok so u are saying denumerable and countable are the same thing?

8. Dec 15, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I would say, but check your book for fine print issues.

9. Dec 15, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Some books use "countable" to mean "there is a one to one function from the set onto N" and "denumerable" to mean finite or countable.

If "Prove by induction that if set S = {x1,x2...,xn} is a set of n elements non of which are in a set A, then AuS is denumerable" is all that is said, then consider A= R. The statement is not true.

10. Dec 15, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you look so much alike.:biggrin:

(Seriously you and tiny tim have done wonderful work here- no wonder I get the two of you confused.)

11. Dec 15, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, since you put it so nicely, I guess I forgive you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?