Proving Denumerability of Sets: Induction Method | Homework Help

• Thread starter mathcnc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the problem asks for a proof that if set S is a set of n elements and some of the elements are not in set A, then AuS is denumerable. However, the statement is not true and if this is all that is said then the set is not denumerable.
mathcnc

Homework Statement

Prove by induction that if set S = {x1,x2...,xn} is a set of n elements non of which are in a set A, then AuS is denumerable

Homework Equations

im not sure what to put here

The Attempt at a Solution

what does this mean
denumerable? and how do i start this
I know that i can say AuX when x is an element not in A
but what do i do beyond this

Physics news on Phys.org
My definition is that a set is denumerable (or countable) if it's finite or can be put into 1-1 correspondence with the set of integers. What's your definition? I'm guessing A is given to be denumerable. Then if you already know AU{x} is denumerable it should be pretty easy. Think induction.

If the problem asks you to prove a set is denumerable, you should already have been given a definition of "denumerable". I wouldn't be surprized if the definition were in the same chapter this problem is in. And, as tiny-tim suggested, you must have been given some information about A- without that the statement you say you want to prove is NOT true.

ok i will look
However, nothing more is said about a
thats the whole problem

mathcnc said:
ok i will look
However, nothing more is said about a
thats the whole problem

If that's all that's said then you can't prove the set is denumerable. And if you haven't been given a definition of denumerable then you super can't prove it. And Halls, I'm not tiny-tim.

ok so u are saying denumerable and countable are the same thing?

That's what I would say, but check your book for fine print issues.

Some books use "countable" to mean "there is a one to one function from the set onto N" and "denumerable" to mean finite or countable.

If "Prove by induction that if set S = {x1,x2...,xn} is a set of n elements non of which are in a set A, then AuS is denumerable" is all that is said, then consider A= R. The statement is not true.

Dick said:
If that's all that's said then you can't prove the set is denumerable. And if you haven't been given a definition of denumerable then you super can't prove it. And Halls, I'm not tiny-tim.

But you look so much alike.:biggrin:

(Seriously you and tiny tim have done wonderful work here- no wonder I get the two of you confused.)

HallsofIvy said:
But you look so much alike.:biggrin:

(Seriously you and tiny tim have done wonderful work here- no wonder I get the two of you confused.)

Well, since you put it so nicely, I guess I forgive you.

1. What is the induction method used to prove the denumerability of sets?

The induction method is a mathematical proof technique that involves showing that a statement holds for a base case, and then showing that if the statement holds for any arbitrary case, it also holds for the next case. This process continues until the desired result is proven.

2. How is the induction method applied to prove denumerability of sets?

To prove denumerability of a set using the induction method, we first show that the set is denumerable for a base case, usually the set of natural numbers. Then, we assume that the set is denumerable for an arbitrary case and use that assumption to show that the set is also denumerable for the next case. This process is repeated until we can conclude that the set is denumerable for all cases.

3. What is a denumerable set?

A denumerable set is a set that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. In other words, a denumerable set is a set that can be counted.

4. What is an example of using the induction method to prove denumerability of a set?

An example of using the induction method to prove denumerability of a set is proving that the set of even natural numbers is denumerable. We can show that the set of even natural numbers is denumerable for the base case of 0, and then use the assumption that the set is denumerable for any even number to show that it is also denumerable for the next even number. This process can be repeated indefinitely, proving that the set of even natural numbers is denumerable.

5. How does proving denumerability of sets using the induction method help in mathematics?

Proving denumerability of sets using the induction method is an important mathematical tool for establishing the cardinality of sets. It allows us to determine whether a set is countable or uncountable, which has implications for many areas of mathematics, including set theory, calculus, and analysis.