Departure enthelpy vs. Excess enthelpy vs. Residual enthelpy?

• Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
In summary, there are three types of 'enthalpies' that are often mentioned in literature: residual, excess, and ideal. These terms refer to deviations from ideality and can be estimated using an equation of state. Residual enthalpy applies to gases, excess enthalpy applies to liquid solutions, and ideal enthalpy is relative to an ideal gas or ideal liquid solution. For more information, refer to Chapter 11 of Smith and Van Ness or Perry's Handbook.
maistral
TL;DR Summary
The title.
I am getting confused as these three kinds of 'enthalpies' keep on appearing in the literature I am reading. How are they different? From what I can understand, they are all deviations from ideality, and that they can be 'estimated' using an equation of state. Other than that, how do they differ from each other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
maistral said:
Summary:: The title.

I am getting confused as these three kinds of 'enthalpies' keep on appearing in the literature I am reading. How are they different? From what I can understand, they are all deviations from ideality, and that they can be 'estimated' using an equation of state. Other than that, how do they differ from each other?
A residual property of a pure gas or gaseous mixture represents the value of the property relative to an ideal gas or ideal gas mixture at the same temperature or pressure. So the word residual applies to gases.

An excess property applies to liquid solutions, and is the value of the property relative to an ideal liquid solution at the same temperature and pressure.

See Chapter 11 of Smith and Van Ness or Perry's Handbook.

Likes Lord Jestocost

1. What is the difference between departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy?

Departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy are all thermodynamic properties that describe the behavior of a substance during a phase change. Departure enthalpy is the difference between the enthalpy of a substance at a given state and its ideal gas enthalpy at the same temperature and pressure. Excess enthalpy is the difference between the enthalpy of a mixture and the enthalpy of its individual components at the same temperature and pressure. Residual enthalpy is the difference between the enthalpy of a substance in its real state and its ideal gas enthalpy at the same temperature and pressure.

2. How are departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy calculated?

Departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy are typically calculated using thermodynamic equations and data from experiments. These properties can also be calculated using thermodynamic software or tables of thermodynamic data.

3. What is the significance of departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy?

Departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy are important in understanding the behavior of substances during phase changes, such as boiling or condensation. They also play a role in the design and optimization of thermodynamic processes and systems.

4. Can departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy be negative?

Yes, departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy can be negative. A negative value indicates that the substance has a lower enthalpy in its real state compared to its ideal gas state at the same temperature and pressure.

5. How do departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy change with temperature and pressure?

The values of departure enthalpy, excess enthalpy, and residual enthalpy are dependent on temperature and pressure. These properties generally increase with increasing temperature and decrease with increasing pressure, but the exact relationship can vary depending on the substance and the phase change being studied.