1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depth of field

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A photographer is taking a portrait photo of a person at 6 m distance from his digital camera, which has a sensor pixel size of 10 μm and is equipped with a f = 100 mm thin lens. Image blur is supposed to be limited to the size of one pixel. Which of the following aperture stops: f/4, f/8, or f/16 should the photographer select in order to get a depth of field of about 0.5 m?

2. Relevant equations

Depth of field = δz = (2*l*ρ*D)/(D2 - ρ2)
    ρ = -ρ'*l/l' = ρ'[(l/f) -1]
    F# relates to f such that, if F# = 8, you have an f/8 aperture stop.
    Using the paraxial approximation for a single lens, F# = f/D
    For a single lens with diameter D and a stop at the lens, NA = D/(2*f)
    F# = 1/(2*NA) by definition
    For a general system, F# = f/(2*he) with he being the height of the entrance pupil

3. The attempt at a solution

We know ρ' = 1 pixel ≈ 0.26 mm. l = 6000 mm. I'm not sure what sensor pixel size describes - is it D? If it is, I'm confused about when I can use F# = f/D. I know the paraxial approximation is used only at very small angles, so maybe that equation isn't valid when we're 6 m away. Maybe I can't use that, but if the sensor pixel size is D, I could plug in to the NA equation - but again, I feel that this would be too simple, so I think I'm oversimplifying it. Since I'm given ρ', l, and f, I could find ρ, and maybe I'm supposed to find ρ for each of the different f's (using the given F#'s and multiplying by D)and just plug into the δz equation to see which gives me the result closest to 0.5 m. This confuses me somewhat as f was given to be 100 mm, so how could f be anything else?
    Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    Bump. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted