Derivation of acceleration in rotating coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an object's trajectory from an inertial coordinate system while accounting for rotation in another coordinate system. The formula for Coriolis acceleration is compared to the derived formula, and the conversation also explores the possibility of losing a term by setting the Euler acceleration to zero. A quick derivation is provided to clarify any misunderstandings.
TheCanadian
I was just trying to write out the derivation for an object's trajectory from an inertial coordinate system if the object is rotating in another coordinate system (e.g. finding Coriolis, centrifugal acceleration). I seem to have gotten something close to what I was looking for, but after checking the formula, it shows a coefficient of 2 on the Coriolis term online, yet that is not what I derived. I have let the Euler acceleration = 0 by letting ## \frac {d\vec{\omega}}{dt} = 0##, but by doing this am I losing a term? Have I done anything wrong with my derivation in general?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 9.24.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 9.24.29 PM.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 277
Physics news on Phys.org
In the last line where you cancel out $$ \frac {d}{dt} (\omega x r) $$

Use the product rule on this term to obtain $$ (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x \dot{r}) $$

the former term is the one that you throw away and the latter, combined with the last term in your second to last line, form $$2\omega x v_r $$

hope that makes sense :)

Last edited:
Mercy said:
In the last line where you cancel out $$ \frac {d}{dt} (\omega x r) $$

Use the product rule on this term to obtain $$ (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x \dot{r}) $$

the former term is the one that you throw away and the latter, combined with the last term in your second to last line, form $$2\omega x v_r $$

hope that makes sense :)

Thank you for the response.

The only thing is, that term is strictly ## \frac {d(\omega)}{dt} \times r ## since it was derived from using the product rule earlier. In case I'm missing something, it is only the time derivative of ## \omega## in the last line, and not both cross product of both terms (i.e. not the time derivative of ## \omega \times r##).

Then did you forget to include the last term in the second to last line? It looks like it disappeared

Mercy said:
Then did you forget to include the last term in the second to last line? It looks like it disappeared

Sorry for the confusion since I rearranged some terms from the second last to last line. Essentially all I did was state that ## \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}_r = \vec{v}_r ## and so the ## \omega \times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}_r ## term just appears as ## \omega \times \vec{v}_r ##. Sorry for the slight sloppiness in that line, but I believe the math works out fine.

$$ v_{fix} = \frac{dr}{dt}_{rot} + (\omega x r) $$

$$ \big( \frac{dv}{dt} \big)_{fix} = \big( \frac{dv_{rot}}{dt} \big)_{fix} + (\dot{\omega} x r) + \omega x \big( \frac{dr}{dt} \big)_{fix} $$

$$a_f = a_r + (\omega x v_r) + (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x (\omega x r) ) + (\omega x v_r) $$

$$ a_f = a_r + (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x (\omega x r) ) + 2(\omega x v_r) $$
subscripts: f = fixed frame, r = rotating frame

Here's a quick derivation, you just have to expand the two "fix" terms in the second line properly and then everything should work out. I'd explain a bit more but I need to go catch the bus home :) Hope you can compare to yours and figure out where the mistake is. Cheers

Mercy said:

$$ \big( \frac{dv}{dt} \big)_{fix} = \big( \frac{dv_{rot}}{dt} \big)_{fix} + (\dot{\omega} x r) + \omega x \big( \frac{dr}{dt} \big)_{fix} $$

$$a_f = a_r + (\omega x v_r) + (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x (\omega x r) ) + (\omega x v_r) $$

$$ a_f = a_r + (\dot{\omega} x r) + (\omega x (\omega x r) ) + 2(\omega x v_r) $$

Here's a quick derivation, you just have to expand the two "fix" terms in the second line properly and then everything should work out. I'd explain a bit more but I need to go catch the bus home :) Hope you can compare to yours and figure out where the mistake is. Cheers

Thank you for the derivation. I think the one part I am not quite catching is ## \big( \frac{dv_{rot}}{dt} \big)_{fix} ##.

How is that expression equal to ## a_r + (\dot{\omega} x r) ##? Isn't it simply ## a_r ##?

Mercy said:
By the way, the way to do vector products in LATEX is to use "\times" instead of "x":$$ v_{fix} = \frac{dr}{dt}_{rot} + \omega \times r$$

DrGreg said:
By the way, the way to do vector products in LATEX is to use "\times" instead of "x":$$ v_{fix} = \frac{dr}{dt}_{rot} + \omega \times r$$
haha thank you it was bugging me that I couldn't figure it out :)

Mercy said:

Also, just to clarify, did you mean to state: ## \big( \frac{dv_{rot}}{dt} \big)_{fix} = a_r + (\dot{\omega} \times r)## or did I misinterpret your post?

No, what I wrote is what is in my textbook (Thorton/Marion pg 389 - 392).

Fixed frame quantities expand this way:

$$ \big( \frac{dr}{dt} \big)_{fixed} = \big( \frac{dr}{dt} \big)_{rot}+ (\omega \times r) $$

So from the second line:

$$ \big( \frac{dv_{rot}}{dt} \big)_{fixed} =a_r+ (\omega \times v_r) $$

$$ \omega \times \big( \frac{dr}{dt} \big)_{fixed} = (\omega \times v_r) + \omega \times (\omega \times r)) $$

So from expanding the second line in my earlier post, you can see that two $$ (\omega \times v_r) $$ terms come out.

Last edited:
The $$ (\dot{\omega} \times r) $$ term comes from the product rule from the time derivative of the last term in the first line.

Mercy said:
No, what I wrote is what is in my textbook (Thorton/Marion pg 389 - 392).

Fixed frame quantities expand this way:

$$ \big( \frac{d}{dt} \big)_{fixed} = \big( \frac{d}{dt} \big)_{rot}+ (\omega \times ) $$
Okay, that seems to be where my confusion arose. But is that true for higher order terms (e.g. acceleration, jerk, etc.)?

I would assume so, you would just be taking another set of time derivatives, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Mercy said:
I would assume so, you would just be taking another set of time derivatives, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Just checked Marion (thank you for the reference) and it helped a lot. It does in fact state that you can use any vector in that expression to go from fixed to a rotating frame...just trying to intuitively see that now. When that vector itself changes with time, it (to me at least) is not very easy to understand. But considering just any arbitrary vector, this seems to make sense. It's almost like a first-order of time perturbation to the vector, and it seems independent of the vector itself.

What is "Derivation of acceleration in rotating coordinates"?

"Derivation of acceleration in rotating coordinates" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the acceleration of an object in a rotating reference frame. It takes into account the effects of centrifugal and Coriolis forces on the object's motion.

What are rotating coordinates?

Rotating coordinates refer to a reference frame that is moving or rotating with respect to an inertial frame of reference. This type of coordinate system is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in a rotating system.

Why is it important to consider acceleration in rotating coordinates?

In many real-world scenarios, objects are often moving in a rotating reference frame, such as a rotating planet or a spinning satellite. It is important to accurately calculate the acceleration of these objects in order to understand their motion and make accurate predictions.

What is the equation for deriving acceleration in rotating coordinates?

The equation for deriving acceleration in rotating coordinates is a combination of the standard acceleration equation (a = F/m) and additional terms for the centrifugal and Coriolis forces. It is given by a = F/m - 2mw X v - mw X (w X r), where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, w is the angular velocity of the rotating frame, and r is the position vector of the object.

What are some real-world applications of "Derivation of acceleration in rotating coordinates"?

"Derivation of acceleration in rotating coordinates" has many practical applications, including in the fields of mechanics, aerospace engineering, and geophysics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects in rotating systems such as satellites, gyroscopes, and Earth's rotational motion.