Derivation of Chemical Potential

In summary, the homework statement states that the chemical potential of the ith component is equal to the Gibbs free energy divided by the number of components not equal to i. Additionally, the partial derivatives of the Gibbs free energy with respect to the number of components not equal to i must be equal.
Mbaboy

Homework Statement

Derive the following:
[tex]
\mu_i=T\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial n_i}\right)_{U,V,n_j\not=i}
[/tex]

[tex] \mu_i [/tex] is the chemical potential of the ith component
[tex] G [/tex] is the Gibbs free energy

Homework Equations

[tex] dU = TdS - PdV + \sum_i \mu_i dn_i [/tex]
[tex] \mu_i = \left(\frac{\partial G}{\partial n_i}\right)_{p,T,n_j\not=i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work it out but really haven't gotten anywhere. This is an engineering course, and up until now we haven't done anything like this or even used calculus. This is only a very small part of the question, but I figure if I can get this I'll be on the right track. I have little experience with multivariable calculus, so I guess that is my main problem. I'm sure there are other equations that could be used, but this was all that was given.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We're dealing with partial derivatives, which we write as

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial n_i}\right)_{x,y,\dots}[/tex]

where x, y, etc. are the variables we're holding constant; the partial derivative doesn't mean anything unless we state these constraints.

In your equation for dU, you could differentiate with respect to [itex]n_i[/itex], but you need to specify what variables are being held constant (e.g., volume).

I don't see any way of getting to [itex]\mu_i=T(\partial S/\partial n_i)_{x,y,\dots}[/itex], though. Are you sure there's not a minus sign missing somewhere?

Ok, so I updated the original post and defined the equations a little better.

Eventually in the problem we are suppose to prove

[tex]
\mu_i=T\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial n_i}\right)_{U,V,n_j\not=i}
=\left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial n_i}\right)_{S,V,n_j\not=i}
=\left( \frac{\partial A}{\partial n_i}\right)_{V,T,n_j\not=i}
=\left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial n_i}\right)_{p,S,n_j\not=i}
[/tex]

OK, this really just requires application of the definition of a partial derivative with certain variables held constant. Again though, check for a minus sign on that [itex]T(\partial S/\partial n_i)_{U,V,n_j\neq i}[/itex] term. It's not correct as written.

Ok, I think I get it. Thanks a lot. And I agree there should be a negative in there.

What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a thermodynamic concept that measures the amount of energy required to add one mole of a substance to a system while keeping the temperature, pressure, and number of particles constant. It is often represented by the symbol μ (mu) and has units of energy per mole.

How is chemical potential calculated?

The chemical potential of a substance can be calculated using the equation μ = ∂G/∂n, where μ is the chemical potential, G is the Gibbs free energy, and n is the number of moles of the substance. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation μ = RTln(a), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and a is the activity of the substance.

What is the significance of chemical potential?

Chemical potential is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of substances in a system. It can provide information about the direction of chemical reactions, the equilibrium state of a system, and the conditions under which a reaction will occur spontaneously.

How does chemical potential relate to phase transitions?

During a phase transition, the chemical potential of a substance remains constant. This means that the free energy and activity of the substance also remain constant. As a result, the chemical potential can be used to determine the conditions under which a phase transition will occur.

What factors affect chemical potential?

Chemical potential is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of a system. It also depends on the type of substance and its interactions with other substances in the system. In addition, the chemical potential of a substance can change with the addition or removal of energy or particles from the system.