Derivation of equation for star-planet system orbiting com

In summary: So the velocity of the star should be 2πR1/T1 where R1 is the distance between the two objects in their orbits. Substitute that in for v1.Now you have an expression for the mass of the star in terms of the masses and periods of the two objects. Since R1 is an unknown variable, you need to figure out a way to get rid of it. See if you can use the fact that the two objects are in orbit around the common center of mass to relate R1 to R2, M, and m.
moonkey

Homework Statement

(b) For a mass m1 in circular orbit with velocity v1, and a mass m2 orbiting with velocity
v2 (about a common center of mass), the following holds: m1/m2 = v2/v1. Use this
relation to derive an expression relating the mass and velocity of a star with the period
and mass of an orbiting planet.

(c) The planet in (a) orbits with a period of 1 month. If the velocity of the star as a
result of this is 100 m s−1, calculate the density of the planet. Is this an Earth-type
planet, or a gaseous giant ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out part (b) and I need it to do part (c) and I think part (d) which I haven't shown here.

Here's what I've tried so far

(star)<--rstar-->com<------rplanet------>(planet)

let mass and velocity of star be M and V
let mass and velocity of planet be m and v

MV-mv=0
Mrstar-mrplanet=0

MV-mv=Mrstar-mrplanet
MV-Mrstar=mv-mrplanet

Period:
2pi*rstar=PV
2pi*rplanet=Pv

rstar=PV/2pi
rplanet=Pv/2pi

MV-MPV/2pi=mv-mPv/2pi

As you can probably see, that brings me back around to square 1.
I just can't seem to work it out in such a way that I won't need at least 1 of the distances and as you can see in part (c) I'm only given two values to calculate the density so...

Please help

I'll thank, anyone who helps me, in advance because if I leave it too long I won't want to bump this thread, so thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the m1*v1 = m2*v2 together with v2 = 2πR2/T2 to get
m1*v1 = 2πm2*R2/T2
That is a formula relating the m and v of the star to the mass and period of the planet.

Note that the period of the star is the same as the period of the planet's orbit - the pair must remain opposite each other in their orbits so they must be perfectly synchronized.

1. What is the equation for the orbit of a star-planet system orbiting a comet?

The equation for the orbit of a star-planet system orbiting a comet is known as the three-body problem, and it is described by Newton's laws of motion and gravitation. It is a complex mathematical equation that takes into account the masses and distances of all three bodies, as well as their gravitational forces.

2. How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived by using Newton's laws of motion and gravitation to calculate the acceleration of each body in the system. This acceleration is then used to determine the positions of the bodies at each point in time, resulting in a mathematical equation that describes the orbit of the system.

3. Does the equation take into account the effect of other celestial bodies?

The equation for the orbit of a star-planet system orbiting a comet only takes into account the three bodies involved in the system. It does not account for the influence of other celestial bodies, such as other planets or stars.

4. Can the equation predict the exact path of the orbit?

The equation can predict the general path of the orbit, but it cannot predict the exact path due to the chaotic nature of the three-body problem. Small changes in initial conditions can result in drastically different outcomes for the orbit over time.

5. How is the equation used in scientific research?

The equation is used in scientific research to model and study the orbits of star-planet systems orbiting comets. It can help scientists understand the dynamics and behavior of these systems, as well as make predictions about their future movements. It is also used in the development of space missions, as it can help calculate the trajectories of spacecraft in these complex systems.