Derivation of Faraday's Law from Lorentz's

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
iScience
Messages
466
Reaction score
5
$$\vec{F}=q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}$$

$$\frac{d\vec{F}}{dq}=\vec{v}\times\vec{B}$$

$$\int\frac{d\vec{F}}{dq} \cdot ds=\int(\frac{d\vec{s}}{dt}\times\vec{B}) \cdot ds$$

from here, I went about it two different ways:

1.) Here I assumed everything was at right angles and got rid of all the vectors and vector products

$$\varepsilon=\int \frac{ds}{dt}B ds=\int \frac{ds}{dt}B \frac{ds}{dt}dt$$By u substitution

$$u=\frac{ds}{dt}, du=dt$$
$$\varepsilon=\int B(u^2)du=\frac{Bv^3}{3}$$

where v = ds/dtThat was the first way i went about it, but i didn't feel any closer to Faraday's law.

2.) Here I left the vectors alone on the RHS; I figured since [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] and d[itex]\hat{s}[/itex] were perpendicular, the quantity ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex]s) would be a time derivative of the area formed

$$\varepsilon=\int\frac{ds}{dt}B ds=\int(\vec{v}\times\vec{B}) \cdot d\vec{s}=\dot{A}B$$

$$\varepsilon=\frac{BA}{dt}$$

don't know where the minus sign is; probably was supposed to do something with the cross product, but didn't know what.Well I got a lot further with the second "method," but is this a valid derivation? and what went wrong with the first method?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! PS, well, more like pre-script... my goal is to derive faraday's induction law from lorentz force law