Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Faraday's Law from Lorentz's

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    $$\vec{F}=q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}$$

$$\frac{d\vec{F}}{dq}=\vec{v}\times\vec{B}$$

$$\int\frac{d\vec{F}}{dq} \cdot ds=\int(\frac{d\vec{s}}{dt}\times\vec{B}) \cdot ds$$

from here, I went about it two different ways:

1.) Here I assumed everything was at right angles and got rid of all the vectors and vector products

$$\varepsilon=\int \frac{ds}{dt}B ds=\int \frac{ds}{dt}B \frac{ds}{dt}dt$$

By u substitution

$$u=\frac{ds}{dt}, du=dt$$
    $$\varepsilon=\int B(u^2)du=\frac{Bv^3}{3}$$

where v = ds/dt

That was the first way i went about it, but i didn't feel any closer to Faraday's law.

2.) Here I left the vectors alone on the RHS; I figured since [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] and d[itex]\hat{s}[/itex] were perpendicular, the quantity ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex]s) would be a time derivative of the area formed

$$\varepsilon=\int\frac{ds}{dt}B ds=\int(\vec{v}\times\vec{B}) \cdot d\vec{s}=\dot{A}B$$

$$\varepsilon=\frac{BA}{dt}$$

don't know where the minus sign is; probably was supposed to do something with the cross product, but didn't know what.

Well I got alot further with the second "method," but is this a valid derivation? and what went wrong with the first method?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2014 #2
    Oh! PS, well, more like pre-script... my goal is to derive faraday's induction law from lorentz force law

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook