Derivation of fluctuations in canonical ensemble

In summary, the canonical ensemble is a statistical model used to describe the behavior of a system in equilibrium with a heat bath at a fixed temperature. Fluctuations in this ensemble provide information about the variability of a system's properties at a given temperature and can be derived using the partition function and Boltzmann distribution. These fluctuations are related to the mean and variance of thermodynamic quantities through the fluctuation-dissipation theorem and have applications in fields such as statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and molecular dynamics.
Fliers

Homework Statement

Statistical Mechanics by Pathria. Problem 3.1

Homework Equations

(1)
<(△nr)2>=<nr2>-<nr>2=(wrd/dwr)(wrd/dwr)lnΓ, for all wr=1

How to derive above equation from these equations?
<nr>=wrd/dwr(lnΓ), for all wr=1
<nr2>=(1/Γ)(wrd/dwr)(wrd/dwr)Γ, for all wr=1

(2)
Also, if you have the textbook,
How can I derive equations (3.2.39) and (3.2.40) from equations (3.2.37) and (3.2.38)

The Attempt at a Solution

It may look so easy for you guys, but I cannot even start solving these problems since I'm not good at calculus...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Fliers, and welcome to PF :-)

Your chances of getting assistance improve if you provide the problem statement. At the moment you only target those of us who
1 ignore the forum rules (read the guidelines to find out which one(s)**)
2 have the book AND the same edition

Mine says "(a) Derive formula (3.2.37) from eqns (3.2.14) and (3.2.36)"
But then, I have a first edition...
(So happens your equation 1 is indeed his 3.2.37, but before I invest more time in this, I do want to be 100% sure I'm not answering the wrong question. In other words: the full rendering, please.

- - - - -
So far for following forum rules. Suppose you had stated:

Homework Statement

Derive
<(△nr)2>=<nr2>-<nr>2=(wrd/dwr)(wrd/dwr)lnΓ, for all wr=1

from
< nr>=wrd/dwr(lnΓ), for all wr=1
< nr2>=(1/Γ)(wrd/dwr)(wrd/dwr)Γ, for all wr=1​

Then you would still have to have to explain "all ##\omega's=1##" because that is not what it seems!

Even then you would still also have to provide some relevant equations (to make the steps required). Take your pick from 3.2.1 to 3.2.35 and perhaps a few earlier ones as well!

Even then I could only go ahead if you would also have shown what you tried so far: the guidelines require you to show your efforts. "I cannot even start" simply isn't good enough. Not being good a calculus is a nice modest statement, but it doesn't tell me what you can or can not digest.

So sorry. :-(

- - - - -

**) hint: about rendering the problem statement is not the only one. Something about showing your work, too. Or do you want us to begin with 1+1=2, since you might be totally unknowing ?

What is the canonical ensemble?

The canonical ensemble is a statistical model used to describe the behavior of a system in equilibrium with a heat bath at a fixed temperature.

What is the significance of fluctuations in the canonical ensemble?

Fluctuations in the canonical ensemble provide information about the variability of a system's properties, such as energy or particle number, at a given temperature.

How are fluctuations in the canonical ensemble derived?

Fluctuations in the canonical ensemble can be derived using the partition function and the Boltzmann distribution, which relate the thermodynamic properties of a system to its microscopic states.

What is the relationship between fluctuations and thermodynamic quantities in the canonical ensemble?

The fluctuations in the canonical ensemble are related to the mean and variance of the thermodynamic quantities through the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

What are some applications of the derivation of fluctuations in the canonical ensemble?

The derivation of fluctuations in the canonical ensemble is used in various fields, including statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and molecular dynamics, to understand and predict the behavior of systems at equilibrium.