Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Height Function given an angle

Tags:
  1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone, I'm currently doing research at a University, I've been working on a problem for a few hours and wrote up a quick paper that shows my derivation of a certain height based on an angle. Basically the experiment is looking at optical properties of graphene, but for this to happen we need to shine a laser onto the species, where it reflects back into an analyzer. To get a measurement from a tiny change in angle, we will use a step motor attached to a threaded rod, and at the top of the rod somewhere is a winged nut that holds a wire attached on both sides, those wires run down to the laser and analyzer on each side. I wanted to find an equation that accurately measures the height of the winged nut above the machine as a function of the desired angle of incidence. The angle can only vary between 90 and 30 degrees. I will attach a couple of pictures to the machine, as well as my derivation, which includes a crudely drawn picture of the proposed step motor system. If anyone could go over my derivation it would be much appreciated. I already sent it to the PI to be looked over, but I just want to make sure this is correct, and what better way to do that than give it to you guys :p.

Also, I don't know exactly where this thread should go, so feel free to move it where it needs to go.

Double also, sorry for the thread title, it's 2:30am.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2
    From the diagram, the pertinent measurements are L and R2 (which are fixed) and y which varies as the step motor is turned. The angle of interest (call it θ) is the angle opposite side L of the triangle formed by lengths L, R2, and y.
    By the Law of Sines, the ratio
    L/sinθ = D (the diameter of the circumcircle about triangle yLR2)
    D = yLR2/2A where A = area of triangle yLR2 = √(s(s-y)(s-L)(s-R2))
    and semiperimeter s = (y+L+R2)/2
    from all of which we can get
    θ = arcsin(2/yR2)A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook