Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of ideal gas law by Hamiltonian mechanics

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    Hi!

I am trying to understand the statistical mechanics derivation of the ideal gas law shown at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law inder "Derivations".

First of all, the statement "Then the time average momentum of the particle is:
    [itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} \rangle= ... =-3k_BT.[/itex]". Isn't this wrong? For sure, the dimension of [itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} [/itex] is energy, as is the dimension of [itex]-3k_BT[/itex] and not momentum.

Secondly, I do not understand the equation
    [itex] -\langle \sum_{i=1}^{N}\mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle = P \oint_{\mathrm{surface}} \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S} [/itex].
    I dot not understand what [itex]\mathbf{q} [/itex] is, since all position vectors have been subsricpted. Nor do I understand the physical interpretation of [itex] \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/itex]: the scalar product of [itex] \mathbf{q} [/itex] (a position vector?) and the vector area element.

If anybody could shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with you there. It should be "time average kinetic energy of the particle". You should post a talk comment in the Wikipedia article.

Pressure is the average force/unit area of the gas. So the time average of the force created by a single particle on the container is F = PΔS where ΔS is the area of the container wall that is interacting with the particle (ie. in a collision between the particle and the wall). So [itex]\oint PdS[/itex] is the total force on all the particles of the gas.

Where it gets a little unclear is setting the total energy to P∫qds. This does not explain the physics. A better explanation can be found on the Wikipedia page on Kinetic theory.

AM

4. Jun 8, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your reply!

I have been discussing this on another forum as well. There it was explained to me that q and F arise from approximation of the discrete model with a continuous one, so that the derivation with additional steps, would look something like
    [itex] -\langle \sum_{k=1}^{N} \mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle \approx \int_{\mathrm{volume}}\mathbf{q}\cdot \mathbf{F}dV=
    \oint_{\mathrm{surface}}\mathbf{q}\cdot (Pd\mathbf{S})=P\oint_{\mathrm{surface}}\mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S}... [/itex],
    where the second is valid to due F vanishing everywhere except for at the surface.

I have looked at the more intuitive derivation on the wiki page on kinetic theory. However, I wanted to understand the more rigorous statistical mechanics proof as well.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't follow this. It does not appear to be dimensionally correct. This has dimensions of Force x distance x volume.

AM

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This is somewhat misleading since the equipartition theorem holds only true for quadratic forms of the canonical variables, i.e., for the harmonic oscillator. The classical grand-canonical partition function is given by
    [tex]Z=\sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \exp(\alpha N) \frac{z^N}{N!} = \exp(z \exp \alpha),[/tex]
    with the single-particle partion function
    [tex]z=\int \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} \exp \left [-\beta \left (\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{\omega^2}{2} \vec{x}^2 \right ) \right ]=\frac{8 \pi m^{3/2}}{\beta^3 \omega^3}.[/tex]
    Then you get
    [tex]\langle N \rangle=\frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \alpha}=\frac{8 \pi^3 m^{3/2} \exp \alpha}{\beta^3 \omega^3}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\langle H \rangle = -\frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta} = 3 \frac{\langle N \rangle}{\beta}.[/tex]
    As you see only in a harmonic oscillator potential you get the mean energy in the form given in Wikipedia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook