1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of resonance fixed-fixed beam

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to derive the resonance frequencies for a simple fixed-fixed beam, as opposed to a simply-supported beam.

I'm working off the following references:
    1. http://emweb.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Scott-Whitney/325hweb/Beams.htm
    But this is for a fixed-free cantilever beam.

And
    2. alrafidain.engineering-coll-mosul.com/files/132.pdf

But this is for a simply-supported (or 'pinned') beam.

Both sources follow the same derivation steps.
    If we write the differntial equation as follows:
    [tex] EI\frac{\partial^{4}z(x,t)}{\partial x^{4}} = \rho A \frac{\partial^{2}z(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]
    Than for my application I would like to state the following boundary conditions:
    [tex] 1, z(0,t) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] 2, z'(0,t) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] 3, z(L,t) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] 4, z'(L,t) = 0 [/tex]
    For a fixed - fixed beam.

However, I can't seem to derive this to a manageable equation.

The general solution is in the form of:
    [tex] z(x,t) = (A \cos(\omega t)+ B \sin(\omega t)) \cdot ( C_1 \sin(\alpha x) + C_2 \cos(\alpha x) + C_3 sinh(\alpha x) + C_4 cosh(\alpha x)) [/tex]

Assuming the time term is not zero.
    Boundary Condition 1 gives:
    [tex] C_2 + C_4 = 0 [/tex]
    BC 2:
    [tex] C_1 + C_3 = 0 [/tex]
    BC 3:
    [tex] C_1 sin(\alpha L) + C_2 cos(\alpha L) -C_1 sinh(\alpha L) - C_2 cosh(\alpha L) = 0 [/tex]
    BC 4:
    [tex] C_1 cos(\alpha L) - C_2 sin(\alpha L) -C_1 cosh(\alpha L) - C_2 sinh(\alpha L) = 0 [/tex]

I can get an expression for C1 to C4 but it's incredibly long and I'm not sure what to do with it next. It doesn't derive to a nice equation as in the references.

Could someone with expertise have a look and see if I'm stating my equations correctly. And maybe help me along with the derivations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2
    Look again at your boundary conditions.

I agree z(0) = z(L) = 0

but why is

z'(0) = z'(L) = 0

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Standard conditions for a beam problem. The beam is clamped at the ends, so both the displacement and the slope must be zero there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook