Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of spring constant k: Where can I find it?

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1

Folks---

I want a reference(text or journal article) that presents the mathematical
    derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled,
    ideal spring.

k = G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    Spring Constant Derivation: Where can I find it?

Folks---

I want a reference(textbook or journal article) that presents the mathematical derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled, ideal spring.

k=G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

When this question was asked in the General Physics Forum several weeks ago, there were 81 views, but no replies. I believe this derivation is a classic in linear elasticity theory, but I can't locate it.

4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    If this is not a homework type question, you might try Eng-Tips to see if anyone on there knows.

5. Feb 8, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

6. Feb 8, 2008 #5
    This constant comes from the derivation of the deflection of a coiled spring. By deriving the deflection, one can extract the spring constant k from the equation.

The derivation of the equation for the deflection of a spring comes from Castigliano's theorem.

See A. C. Ugural "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" McGraw-Hill Professional (2003): pg. 565

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?