1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of spring constant k: Where can I find it?

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1

Folks---

I want a reference(text or journal article) that presents the mathematical
    derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled,
    ideal spring.

k = G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    Spring Constant Derivation: Where can I find it?

Folks---

I want a reference(textbook or journal article) that presents the mathematical derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled, ideal spring.

k=G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

When this question was asked in the General Physics Forum several weeks ago, there were 81 views, but no replies. I believe this derivation is a classic in linear elasticity theory, but I can't locate it.

4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    If this is not a homework type question, you might try Eng-Tips to see if anyone on there knows.

5. Feb 8, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did you find the formula?

I found this:
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/engineering/documents/sm_lecture_19.pdf [Broken]

but no obvious derivations...

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. Feb 8, 2008 #5
    This constant comes from the derivation of the deflection of a coiled spring. By deriving the deflection, one can extract the spring constant k from the equation.

The derivation of the equation for the deflection of a spring comes from Castigliano's theorem.

See A. C. Ugural "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" McGraw-Hill Professional (2003): pg. 565

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook