Derivation of spring constant k: Where can I find it?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 15K views
redoubt
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Folks---

I want a reference(text or journal article) that presents the mathematical
derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled,
ideal spring.

k = G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Spring Constant Derivation: Where can I find it?

Folks---

I want a reference(textbook or journal article) that presents the mathematical derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled, ideal spring.

k=G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

When this question was asked in the General Physics Forum several weeks ago, there were 81 views, but no replies. I believe this derivation is a classic in linear elasticity theory, but I can't locate it.
 
If this is not a homework type question, you might try Eng-Tips to see if anyone on there knows.
 
Where did you find the formula?

I found this:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/engineering/documents/sm_lecture_19.pdf

but no obvious derivations...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
redoubt said:
Folks---

I want a reference(textbook or journal article) that presents the mathematical derivation of the following formula for the spring constant k of a coiled, ideal spring.

k=G*d^4/(8*n*D^3)

A Google search was unsuccessful.

When this question was asked in the General Physics Forum several weeks ago, there were 81 views, but no replies. I believe this derivation is a classic in linear elasticity theory, but I can't locate it.

This constant comes from the derivation of the deflection of a coiled spring. By deriving the deflection, one can extract the spring constant k from the equation.

The derivation of the equation for the deflection of a spring comes from Castigliano's theorem.

See A. C. Ugural "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" McGraw-Hill Professional (2003): pg. 565