Derivative from Definition (square roots)

In summary, to find the derivative of the function f(x)= x + squareroot(x), one must use the definition of the derivative and the difference quotient. After simplifying the difference quotient by splitting it into two fractions and using the conjugate to simplify one of the fractions, one can evaluate the limit as h approaches 0 to find the derivative.
I_LuV_FiZiX

Homework Statement

Find the derivative from definition of the functin f(x)= x + squareroot(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only got as far as where I canceled out my positive and negative x terms in the numerator, and am left with three terms (2 of which are square roots, the other being an h), and I am wondering what to do now; is there some way to multiply by the conjugate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference quotient should look like

[tex]
\frac{((x+h) + \sqrt{x+h}) - (x + \sqrt x)}{(x+h)-x} = \frac{h + (\sqrt{x+h} - \sqrt x)}{h},
[/tex]

does it not? try splitting it into 2 fractions (based on the grouping I've shown above). One of the fractions is quite simple, the other you can simplify with the method you mentioned in your post. After the fractions are simplified, bring in the limits as [tex] h \to 0 [/tex]

What is the definition of derivative for square roots?

The derivative of a square root function is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve.

How do you find the derivative of a square root function using the definition?

To find the derivative of a square root function using the definition, you must first write the function in the form f(x) = √x. Then, use the limit definition of derivative to find the derivative.

What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a square root function?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a square root function is f'(x) = 1/(2√x).

Can the derivative of a square root function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a square root function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that particular point.

How is the derivative of a square root function related to the power rule?

The power rule states that for a function f(x) = x^n, the derivative is f'(x) = nx^(n-1). The derivative of a square root function, f(x) = √x, can be obtained by rewriting it as f(x) = x^(1/2) and applying the power rule, resulting in f'(x) = (1/2)x^(-1/2) = 1/(2√x).