Finding Derivatives Using First Principles

• Thread starter digidako
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding dy/dx using first principles and the person is apologizing for not showing their work properly. They have found the answer of 4/3x^2 through their proof but are unsure if they broke any rules. They have divided by h and are getting 4/(3x^2) as the final answer.
digidako
Sorry for not showing my work on my last post, I'm on my good for nothing blackberry and apparently cannot type. My question was:
Use first principles definition to find dy/dx:
y=(-4/3x)
lim
x--> 0

---------
(X,-4/3x)
(X+h, -4/3(X+h)

=lim»0 ((-4/3(x+h))-(-4/3x))/x+h-x

I have gotten the answer 4/3x^2 through my proof, but I knew what the answer was (I looked at the back in frustration). I'm afraid I may have broken a few rules when I found a common denominator for the numerator ( (3)(x+h)(3x)) and worked it down to

=lim»0 -12x+12x+12h/[3x+3h](3x)

=lim »0 4h/3x^2h+3hx

Any help is appreciated !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
digidako said:
Sorry for not showing my work on my last post, I'm on my good for nothing blackberry and apparently cannot type. My question was:
Use first principles definition to find dy/dx:
y=(-4/3x)
lim
x--> 0

---------
(X,-4/3x)
(X+h, -4/3(X+h)

=lim»0 ((-4/3(x+h))-(-4/3x))/x+h-x

I have gotten the answer 4/3x^2 through my proof, but I knew what the answer was (I looked at the back in frustration). I'm afraid I may have broken a few rules when I found a common denominator for the numerator ( (3)(x+h)(3x)) and worked it down to

=lim»0 -12x+12x+12h/[3x+3h](3x)

=lim »0 4h/3x^2h+3hx

Any help is appreciated !

That's still pretty hard to read. You are leaving out too many parentheses. If you mean y=(-4)/(3x) then if you got (4h)/(3x^2+3xh) for the numerator then it's ok. Now the denominator is h, so divide by that and let h->0. 4/(3x^2) is correct.

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding Derivatives Using First Principles

What is a derivative and why is it important?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to calculate the slope of a curve and determine the behavior of a function at any point.

How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the Power Rule, Product Rule, Quotient Rule, and Chain Rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of any polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric function.

What are the real-world applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They are used to calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and model natural phenomena.

What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative represents the original function. In other words, the derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line at a given point, while the antiderivative is the function whose derivative is the original function.

How can I use derivatives to find maximum and minimum values?

A maximum or minimum value of a function occurs at a point where the derivative is equal to zero. By finding the critical points of a function (where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined) and evaluating the function at those points, you can determine the maximum or minimum values of the function.