Difference Between \partial x and d x in Derivatives?

In summary, there is a difference between writing \partial x and d x when referring to partial derivatives. While they may seem the same, they have different meanings and should not be mixed in notation. When stating a theorem, such as Green's theorem, it is important to use the correct notation for partial derivatives. This can also be represented with subscripts, such as fx and fy.
KStolen
Hi, this may seem like a silly question but here goes :
Is there any difference between writing [tex]\partial x[/tex] and [tex]d x[/tex] when referring to partial derivatives? I've always used the simple [tex]d x[/tex] for both because I don't like drawing the curvy d. To me, [tex]\partial N / d x[/tex] and [tex]d N / d x[/tex] are the same really.

However, if in an exam I was asked to state a theorem (say Green's theorem), should I use the partial derivative symbol when writing the equation?
How about when I actually use the theorem?]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
KStolen said:
Hi, this may seem like a silly question but here goes :
Is there any difference between writing [tex]\partial x[/tex] and [tex]d x[/tex] when referring to partial derivatives? I've always used the simple [tex]d x[/tex] for both because I don't like drawing the curvy d. To me, [tex]\partial N / d x[/tex] and [tex]d N / d x[/tex] are the same really.
They aren't the same, so you shouldn't use the straight derivative when a partial derivative is called for. Also, don't mix the notation. The partial of f with respect to x is written as
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
not as
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{dx}[/tex]

Here f would be a function of two or more variables, such as f(x, y) = 2x + 3y2. Assuming that x and y are independent, it wouldn't make any sense to talk about df/dx.

For this simple example,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 6y[/tex]

If you don't like this style of notation, there's another that is used, with subscripts. fx represents the partial of f with respect to x. In the example I gave, fx = 2 and fy = 6y.

KStolen said:
However, if in an exam I was asked to state a theorem (say Green's theorem), should I use the partial derivative symbol when writing the equation?
How about when I actually use the theorem?]

What is the difference between \partial x and d x in derivatives?

The symbols \partial x and d x are both commonly used in calculus to represent the infinitesimal change in a variable. However, they have different meanings and are used in different contexts.

When should I use \partial x in a derivative?

The symbol \partial x is typically used in partial derivatives, where the derivative is taken with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. It is also used in the context of multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

In what situations should I use d x in a derivative?

The symbol d x is commonly used in single-variable calculus to represent the derivative with respect to a single variable. It is also used in the context of differential equations and integrals.

Can I use \partial x and d x interchangeably?

No, \partial x and d x cannot be used interchangeably. They have different meanings and should be used in their appropriate contexts as explained above.

Which symbol is more commonly used in derivatives: \partial x or d x?

The use of d x is more common in derivatives, particularly in single-variable calculus. However, both symbols have their own specific uses and are important to understand in calculus and other fields of mathematics.