Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a Convolution

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I want to verify that the form of a particular solution satisfies the following ODE:

v' + (b/m)v = u/m

with

vpart= ∫e-(b/m)(t-r) (u(r)/m) dr

where the limits are from 0 to t

So I tried to differentiate v with respect to t, in order to substitute it back into the equation. But, how do you do that when the integral is with respect to r? Is there a need to change variables? How can you do this?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

v(t) = ∫tf(t, r).dr
    v(t+δt)= ∫t+δtf(t+δt, r).dr
    = ∫tf(t+δt, r).dr + ∫tt+δtf(t+δt, r).dr
    So v' = ∫t(d/dt)f(t, r).dr + f(t, t)

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    Sorry I'm not familiar with your method. I don't understand why you substitute "t+δt" for t. What approach are you using here? Could you elaborate or direct me to some further reading?

Cheers :)

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The equation you posted for v(t) is generic - i.e. it's true for all t. So it's true both for a given t and for a later time t+δt. So you can write a second equation substituting t+δt for t consistently. Taking the difference, diving by δt, then letting δt tend to zero gives you v'. That is the standard process of differentiation.

6. Nov 8, 2012 #5
    Oh I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification. I'm just not use to this notation :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook