Understanding the Derivative of f(z)=1/(z^2+1)

• Thread starter PatTheBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the final answer in the book is -2z/(z^2+1)^2, but the person ended up with -(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2. They are questioning where the z^2+1 in the numerator of their second term came from and asking for an explanation of their mistake.
PatTheBunny
I don't know why I'm stuck on this problem or why I keep getting it wrong. The answer in my book is -2z/(z^2+1)^2, but I ended up with -(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

I don't understand where the whole z^2+1 in the numerator goes to. Isn't that how it's supposed to be chained? g(x) multiplied by g'(x)?

Here's the work:

0(z^2+1) - (1)(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

-(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely nothing other than simplifying. Think cancel.

PatTheBunny said:
I don't know why I'm stuck on this problem or why I keep getting it wrong. The answer in my book is -2z/(z^2+1)^2, but I ended up with -(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

I don't understand where the whole z^2+1 in the numerator goes to. Isn't that how it's supposed to be chained? g(x) multiplied by g'(x)?

Here's the work:

0(z^2+1) - (1)(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

-(z^2+1)(2z)/(z^2+1)^2

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Where did the z^2+1 come from in your second term in the numerator? You just want g'(x). That doesn't need a chain rule.

FAQ: Understanding the Derivative of f(z)=1/(z^2+1)

What is the derivative of f(z)=1/(z^2+1)?

The derivative of f(z) is -2z/(z^2+1)^2.

How do you find the derivative of a rational function?

To find the derivative of a rational function, use the quotient rule: (f/g)'=(f'g-fg')/g^2, where f' and g' are the derivatives of the numerator and denominator, respectively.

Can the derivative of a rational function be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of a rational function can be simplified by factoring the numerator and denominator and canceling out common factors.

What is the domain of the derivative of f(z)=1/(z^2+1)?

The domain of the derivative is the same as the domain of the original function, which is all real numbers except for z=+-i.

How is the derivative of a rational function related to its graph?

The derivative of a rational function can give information about the slope of the tangent line at any point on the graph. It can also help determine the concavity of the graph and the location of any critical points.