Derivative of inverse trif function

In summary: As x gets very large, the first term approaches 0 and the second term approaches 1, so the limit is 1.
tsoya
y= tan^(-1)[x^2-1]^(1/2) + csc^(-1)x

i cannot get to the answer, can someone help me?

well the answer should be zero. when i take the derivative of both parts (one of the tan inverse and one of the csc inverse) i don't get anywhere close to 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
could you show what you did?

and what type of answer are you getting? w/o doing it I think something near 1? maybe 1 minus something.

im getting something like x/ [(x^2 -1)(x^2 -1)^2] - 1/[|x|(x^2-1)^2]

before simplifying, and after simplifying its not zero..urgh i cannot get it

Hm...

well the derivative of arctan x = 1/(1+x^2), but in your case you'll have to do the chain rule.
for csc^-1 I'm guessing that's inverse csc right? so then you'll want the derivative of 1/sin^-1 x which is arcsin to the power of negative 1 which will again need a use of the chain rule.

The answer I am getting is not zero or one.
You will have to use the chain rule multiple times. And keep in mind:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} arccsc(x) = \frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x^2 - 1}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} arctan(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex].

tsoya said:
im getting something like x/ [(x^2 -1)(x^2 -1)^2] - 1/[|x|(x^2-1)^2]

before simplifying, and after simplifying its not zero..urgh i cannot get it
Well, it almost works out to zero, doesn't it? Maybe you made a slight error in your calculation; have you rechecked them?

If the derivitive is graphed, it can be seen that after an approximate value of [tex]2[/tex], the derivitive gets very close to [tex]0[/tex].
This is the solution i got for the problem:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}arccsc(x) + \sqrt{arctan(x^2 - 1)} = \frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x^2 - 1}} + \frac{x}{((x^2 - 1)^2 + 1)\sqrt{arctan(x^2 - 1)}}[/tex].

FAQ: Derivative of inverse trif function

1. What is the definition of the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function?

The derivative of an inverse trigonometric function is the rate of change of the function at a specific point, which can be interpreted as the slope of the tangent line to the function's graph at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function?

To find the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function, we use the inverse chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the inner function, then dividing it by the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inverse of the original input.

3. What is the derivative of the inverse sine function?

The derivative of the inverse sine function, also known as the arcsine function, is equal to 1 divided by the square root of 1 minus the square of the input value.

4. Is the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function always defined?

No, the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function is not always defined. For example, the derivative of the inverse tangent function is undefined at x = 1 and x = -1, as well as at any other point where the derivative of the tangent function is equal to 0.

5. Can the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function can be negative. This occurs when the function is decreasing at a specific point, meaning the slope of the tangent line is negative.