Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of inverse trif function

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    y= tan^(-1)[x^2-1]^(1/2) + csc^(-1)x

i cannot get to the answer, can someone help me?

well the answer should be zero. when i take the derivative of both parts (one of the tan inverse and one of the csc inverse) i dont get anywhere close to 0...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2
    could you show what you did?

and what type of answer are you getting? w/o doing it I think something near 1? maybe 1 minus something.
  4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    im getting something like x/ [(x^2 -1)(x^2 -1)^2] - 1/[|x|(x^2-1)^2]

before simplifying, and after simplifying its not zero..urgh i cannot get it
  5. Oct 1, 2007 #4

well the derivative of arctan x = 1/(1+x^2), but in your case you'll have to do the chain rule.
    for csc^-1 I'm guessing that's inverse csc right? so then you'll want the derivative of 1/sin^-1 x which is arcsin to the power of negative 1 which will again need a use of the chain rule.
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5
    The answer I am getting is not zero or one.
    You will have to use the chain rule multiple times. And keep in mind:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} arccsc(x) = \frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x^2 - 1}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} arctan(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex].
  7. Oct 7, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it almost works out to zero, doesn't it? Maybe you made a slight error in your calculation; have you rechecked them?
  8. Oct 7, 2007 #7
    If the derivitive is graphed, it can be seen that after an approximate value of [tex]2[/tex], the derivitive gets very close to [tex]0[/tex].
    This is the solution i got for the problem:
    \frac{d}{dx}arccsc(x) + \sqrt{arctan(x^2 - 1)} = \frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x^2 - 1}} + \frac{x}{((x^2 - 1)^2 + 1)\sqrt{arctan(x^2 - 1)}}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?