1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative word problem. Tricky!

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spaceship moves along y = x3 - 8x in the positive x-direction. Shutting off the engines at P allows it to move off along the tangent at P. Find P so that the ship can reach the point (4,0).

2. Relevant equations

Dunno

3. The attempt at a solution

So I start with P = (x1,y1). The slope of the tangent is then m = 3x12 - 8 from the first derivative.

Then I need P, so I went like this:

m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) = 3x12 - 8 where y2 and x2 are (4,0).

But now I have 1 Eqn. and 2 variables so I can't solve. I was thinking of using y = mx + b because I have y and x, plus an equation for m but then I end up with 2 equations and 3 variables because of the b term. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, [itex]m= 3x_1^2- 8[/itex] and you know, I presume, that a straight line (except vertical) can be written y= m(x-a)+ b where m is the slope and (a, b) is a point on the line. What is the equation of the line with slope [itex]3x_1^2- 8[/itex] through (4, 0)?
    You want that straight line to touch the graph when x= x1 so set the two equations, for the cubic and for the straight line equal and set x= x1. Solve for x1.

4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    Ok! I got it! Thanks a bunch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?