Comparing Chance of Observing Event w/ Gaussian Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving independent Gaussian variables and comparing the chance of observing a specific event in two different ways. The first approach is to consider the sums of the variables separately, while the second approach is to combine the sums into one. The speaker has tried using Y1 and Y2 as normal distributions to solve for each method, but both give incorrect answers. They are unsure which approach is closer to the correct answer.
daffyduck
I am not sure how to do the following homework question:

Suppose X1, X2, ... are independent Gaussian variables with mean zero and variance 1. Consider the event that

X1 + X2 + ... + X2n ≥ 2na wth a > 0

Compare the chance of observing this event in the following two ways:
(i) by getting that X1 + X2 + ... + Xn ≥ na and Xn+1 + Xn+2 + ... +X2n ≥ 2na

(ii) by getting that X1 + X2 + ... + Xn ≥ 2na and Xn+1 + Xn+2 + ... + X2n ≥ 0

I tried letting Y1 = X1 + ... + Xn and Y2 = Xn+1 + ... + X2n.

For (i), Y1 and Y2 are each normally distributed with mean 0 and variance n,
so we have P(Y1 > an)P(Y2 > an) = P(Y1 > an)^2.

For (ii), P(Y1 > 2an)(1/2).

Physics news on Phys.org
daffyduck said:
I am not sure how to do the following homework question:

Suppose X1, X2, ... are independent Gaussian variables with mean zero and variance 1. Consider the event that

X1 + X2 + ... + X2n ≥ 2na wth a > 0

Compare the chance of observing this event in the following two ways:
(i) by getting that X1 + X2 + ... + Xn ≥ na and Xn+1 + Xn+2 + ... +X2n ≥ 2na

(ii) by getting that X1 + X2 + ... + Xn ≥ 2na and Xn+1 + Xn+2 + ... + X2n ≥ 0

I tried letting Y1 = X1 + ... + Xn and Y2 = Xn+1 + ... + X2n.

For (i), Y1 and Y2 are each normally distributed with mean 0 and variance n,
so we have P(Y1 > an)P(Y2 > an) = P(Y1 > an)^2.

For (ii), P(Y1 > 2an)(1/2).

What is the problem? Both methods give wrong answers, just different wrong answers.

RGV

I need to know which approach is closer to the answer. They are both special cases of the actual event

The integrals u get for (i) and (ii) are hard to compare

1. What is the significance of comparing the chance of observing an event with Gaussian variables?

Comparing the chance of observing an event with Gaussian variables helps scientists understand the likelihood of a particular outcome or event occurring in a given situation. This is especially useful in fields such as statistics, where probability and chance play a crucial role in analyzing data and making predictions.

2. How do Gaussian variables differ from other types of variables?

Gaussian variables, also known as normal variables, follow a bell-shaped curve when plotted on a graph. This means that the majority of data points are clustered around the mean, with fewer data points further away from the mean. Other types of variables, such as binomial or exponential, have different distributions and patterns.

3. What is the purpose of using the Gaussian distribution in scientific research?

The Gaussian distribution, also known as the normal distribution, is used in scientific research because it accurately describes many natural phenomena. It is also a fundamental concept in statistics and is often used as a model for various real-world situations.

4. How does comparing the chance of observing an event with Gaussian variables impact decision making?

By comparing the chance of observing an event with Gaussian variables, scientists can make more informed decisions based on the probability of a particular outcome. This can help in various fields such as finance, economics, and medicine, where understanding the likelihood of certain events is crucial for making effective decisions.

5. What are the limitations of using Gaussian variables in scientific research?

While the Gaussian distribution is useful in many applications, it is not always the best fit for all data sets. Some data may follow a different distribution, and using the Gaussian distribution may lead to incorrect conclusions or predictions. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the type of data they are working with and choose the appropriate distribution for their analysis.