Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative wrt Complex Conjugate

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    I am not sure what the derivative with respect to a complex conjugate is and I have not been able to find it in any books.

I assume I should use the chain rule somehow to figure this out:
    [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}, \quad z=x+iy [/tex]

Maybe you can do like this?
    [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*} [/tex]
    [tex] \quad \quad = 1\cdot\frac{\partial x}{\partial (x-iy)} + i\cdot\frac{\partial y}{\partial (x-iy)} [/tex]
    [tex] \quad \quad = 1 + i\cdot\frac{-1}{i} =0[/tex]

I am not sure the above procedure is correct. Can someone in here confirm the result or, if not, help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Put [itex]z=x+iy , \overline{z}=x-iy[/itex] , and applying the chain rule:

[itex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac {\partial f}{\partial \overline{z}}\frac {\partial \overline{z}}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac {\partial f}{\partial \overline{z}}\frac {\partial \overline{z}}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}(-i)[/itex]

Sum both extreme equalities and get the important and known equation

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac {\partial f}{\partial x}+i\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}\right)[/itex] , which equals zero iff the function fulfills the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Tonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook