Derivatives of exponentials (calc II)

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the derivative of e^{ax^{3}} is 3ae^{ax^{3}}x^{2}. Applying the chain rule correctly, the derivative of e^{tsin(2t)} is e^{tsin(2t)}[sin(2t)+2tcos(2t)].
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{ax^{3}}[/tex]

I'm simply trying to determine whether or not I am doing these correctly and applying the chain rule properly.

Homework Equations

Chain rule et al.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{ax^{3}}[/itex]

[itex]e^{ax^{3}}\frac{d}{dx}ax^{3}[/itex]

[itex]e^{ax^{3}}a(3)x^{2}[/itex]

[itex]3ae^{ax^{3}}x^{2}[/itex]

Does that look right to you? I am assuming "a" is just some constant, the book does not specify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

QuarkCharmer said:
Does that look right to you? I am assuming "a" is just some constant, the book does not specify.

Yes, this is correct. If you'd like proof take a look at (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+e^%28ax^3%29). "wolframalpha.com"[/URL] is a very good resource for checking your answers. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay great!

How about this one?

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}e^{tsin(2t)}[/itex]

[itex]e^{tsin(2t)}\frac{d}{dt}tsin(2t)[/itex]

[itex]e^{tsin(2t)}[sin(2t)+2cos(2t)][/itex]

Almost. The last term isn't correct.

Oh I think I just didn't type the "t". It's on my paper.

[itex]e^{tsin(2t)}[sin(2t)+2tcos(2t)][/itex]

Better?

Ayuh.

Thanks a bunch!

What are derivatives of exponentials?

Derivatives of exponentials are a type of mathematical function that involves raising a base number to a power. They are often used to model growth or decay in natural processes, such as population growth or radioactive decay.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you can use the power rule. This states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one. For example, if the function is f(x) = 3^x, the derivative would be f'(x) = ln(3)*3^x.

What is the relationship between the derivative of an exponential and the original function?

The derivative of an exponential function is related to the original function by the fact that it represents the rate of change of the function at any given point. In other words, the derivative tells us how fast the function is changing at a specific point on the graph.

Can derivatives of exponentials be negative?

Yes, derivatives of exponentials can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, or that the rate of change is negative. For example, if the function is f(x) = e^(-x), the derivative at x=2 would be f'(2) = -e^(-2).

What are some real-life applications of derivatives of exponentials?

Derivatives of exponentials have many real-life applications, such as in finance to model compound interest, in physics to model exponential decay, and in biology to model population growth. They are also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to analyze and predict natural processes and phenomena.