1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    1.A kite 40 m above the ground moves horizontally at the rate of 3 m/s. At what rate is the angle between the string and the horizontal decreasing when 80 m of string has been let out. Answer is 0.02 m/s

2. What I did was:

-Drew a triangle as prescribed above
    -I found the unknown length of the ground at that instaneous time.
    -I found the derivative of the vertical height.
    -Then I took derivative of sin theta which gave:
    cos theta (d theta/t) = ry'-yr'(becomes 0 since the string is 80 m all the time) all divided by r^2
    Then I divide by cos theta to get the derivitive the angle.

Thanks very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure why you have included y and y'. You are told "A kite 40 m above the ground moves horizontally" so y= 40 and y'= 0. (You didn't actually say that y represented the height above the ground (which you should have) but I assume that from the fact that you say [itex]sin(\theta)= y/r)[/itex] and I assume (because, again, you didnt say that) that r is the hypotenuse, the length of the kites string. Since you are told "moves horizontally at the rate of 3 m/s", it might be better to use [itex]tan(\theta)= x/40[/itex], where x is the horizontal distance from directly over head. Then [itex]sec^2(\theta)(d\theta/dt)= x'/40= 3/40[/itex]. Use the fact that, at the moment in question, r= 80 and y= 40 to determine both x and [itex]\theta[/itex] at that moment.
  4. Dec 30, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Incidentally, if the question is asking about the rate at which the angle is changing, the answer would have to be in radians/sec (or perhaps degrees/sec), rather than a linear velocity such as meters/sec.

[EDIT: Just finished working this out. The given answer is rounded-off to one significant figure, but would give 0.02 rad/sec. The "mathematically exact" answer is 3/160 rad/sec. Now you get to show why...]
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Dec 30, 2007 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?