Derive the Integrating Factor for Homogeneous DE

In summary, to derive the integrating factor for a homogeneous DE, we can rewrite the equation in terms of \frac{dy}{dx} and substitute in a new variable. Then, we can introduce the integrating factor μ and use it to simplify the equation and find the final answer of μ(x,y)=\frac{1}{xM+yN}.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

I have this statement:
If [tex]M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0[/tex] is a homogeneous DE, then [tex]μ(x,y)=\frac{1}{xM+yN}[/tex] is its integrating factor. The problem is, how do we derive this integrating factor?

Homework Equations

For homogeneous DE, we have [tex]f(kx,ky)=k^n*f(x,y)[/tex]
We also have [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{M(x,y)}{N(x,y)}=-\frac{M(x,xv)}{N(x,xv)}=-\frac{x^pM(1,v)}{x^pN(1,v)}=-\frac{M(1,v)}{N(1,v)}=F(v)=F(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{M(x,y)}{N(x,y)}dx+dy=0[/tex] becomes
[tex]-F(\frac{y}{x})dx+dy=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to introduce [tex]μ[/tex] into the original DE, then I try to derive the factor, which I know the final answer would be [tex]μ(x,y)=\frac{1}{xM+yN}[/tex], but I get very complicated formula, which I cannot simplify. I suspect that there're more properties for homogeneous DE?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To derive the integrating factor for a homogeneous DE, we can use the following steps:

1. Rewrite the DE in the form of \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{M(x,y)}{N(x,y)}.

2. Substitute \frac{y}{x} with a new variable, let's say v. This will give us \frac{dy}{dx}=F(v).

3. To make the equation homogeneous, we can divide both sides by x^n, where n is the highest power of x in the equation. This will give us \frac{1}{x^n}\frac{dy}{dx}=F(v).

4. Now, we can rewrite the equation as \frac{1}{x^n}dy=F(v)dx.

5. We can then introduce the integrating factor μ, which is a function of x and y, into the equation. This will give us \mu\frac{1}{x^n}dy=\mu F(v)dx.

6. We can then rearrange the equation to get \frac{d}{dx}(\mu y)=\mu F(v).

7. Integrating both sides with respect to x, we get \mu y=\int \mu F(v) dx + C, where C is a constant of integration.

8. Simplifying the integral on the right hand side, we get \mu y=\int \frac{\mu}{x^n}F(v)dx + C.

9. Comparing this to the original equation, we can see that the integrating factor is μ(x,y)=\frac{1}{x^n F(v)}.

10. Finally, substituting back in our variable v, we get μ(x,y)=\frac{1}{x^n F(\frac{y}{x})}=\frac{1}{xM+yN}.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is one in which all the terms can be expressed as a function of only the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that there are no constant terms or terms involving the independent variable.

Why is an integrating factor necessary for solving homogeneous DEs?

An integrating factor is necessary to convert a homogeneous differential equation into an exact differential equation, which can be easily solved by integrating both sides. Without an integrating factor, it is generally not possible to solve a homogeneous DE analytically.

How do you derive the integrating factor for a homogeneous DE?

The integrating factor for a homogeneous DE can be derived by dividing both sides of the equation by the coefficient of the highest order derivative and then multiplying both sides by the inverse of the resulting function.

What is the purpose of the integrating factor in the solution of a homogeneous DE?

The integrating factor is used to transform a homogeneous DE into an exact differential equation, which can be solved by integrating both sides. It essentially makes the equation easier to solve by simplifying the terms on one side.

Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor to solve homogeneous DEs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an integrating factor. It may not work for all types of homogeneous DEs, and in some cases, it may lead to a more complex solution. Additionally, it may not be possible to find an integrating factor for certain types of homogeneous DEs.