1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving a forumla for the gradient in cylindrical coordinates

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Starting from the gradient of a scalar function T(x,y,z) in cartesian coordinates find the formula for the gradient of T(s,ϕ,z) in cylindrical coordinates.

Solution (so far):

I know that the gradient is given by [itex] \nabla T = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\hat{x}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\hat{y}+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\hat{z}[/itex]. We must use the chain rule, so we have [itex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})=\frac{\partial T}{\partial s}(\frac{\partial s}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial ϕ}(\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}) [/itex], [itex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial T}{\partial s}(\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial ϕ}(\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial y})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}) [/itex], and [itex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial T}{\partial s}(\frac{\partial s}{\partial z})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial ϕ}(\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial z})+\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial z}) [/itex].

So then I went and calculated ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{y}## in terms of ##\hat{s}## and ##\hat{ϕ}##. I got ##\hat{x}=cosϕ\hat{s}-sinϕ\hat{ϕ}## and ##\hat{y}=sinϕ\hat{s}+cosϕ\hat{ϕ}##. Note that ##\hat{x} \cdot \hat{x} =1##, ##\hat{y} \cdot \hat{y}=1##, and ##\hat{x} \cdot \hat{y} =0## - as they should.

Since I need partials of s and ϕ with respect to x and y, I found the inversion formulas ##s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##ϕ=sin^{1}(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})##. (I used x=s cosϕ and y=s sinϕ)

Obviously ##\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial z}=0## and ##\frac{\partial s}{\partial z} =0##, but
    I'm concerned with how complicated ##\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial y}## are going to turn out.

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2
    Actually, after differentiating and putting it in terms of ϕ, I got ## \frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial x}=-\frac{1}{s}sinϕ## and ##\frac{\partial ϕ}{\partial y}=\frac{1}{s}cosϕ## - That's not too bad. I'd still like to know if this is the correct approach, though.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    Any input is appreciated!

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, keep going.

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    It worked! Praise the Lord!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted