1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Basic Physic Problem Using Calculus

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a distance of 45 meters from a traffic light, a car traveling 15 m/s is brought to a stop at a constant deceleration

a) What is the value of Deceleration (-5m/s)
    b) How far has the car moved when its speed has been reduced to 3 m/s
    c) How many seconds would the car take to come to a full stop?

2. Relevant equations

I really want to solve this Physics based, but we need to use calculus to derive the equations. so there's no way of showing what equations i have used already

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have an attempt at b and c because i don't know how to start them.
    Help would be appreciated, it's the last two questions i have to do on an assignment for tomorrow. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The acceleration function for the car is a(t) = -5 , a constant function. What are the velocity and position functions for this? (What is the relationship between a(t) and v(t)? between v(t) and x(t) ?

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    the relationship between a(t) and v(t), and v(t) and x(t) is that if you integrate a(t) you get v(t) and integrating v(t) gets x(t)

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Good! So [itex]v(t) = \int a(t) dt = \int (-5) dt [/itex] gives you...?

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5
    Well, from what i can tell, it give you the speed at any given time.
    But if that's the case i don't have the time to solve B

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You get an "arbitrary constant" from the integration. What you know from the statement of the problem is that when the car begins slowing down, which is at t = 0, the speed is v(0) = 15 m/sec. What does this make the constant from your velocity integral?

8. Sep 22, 2011 #7
    Acceleration???
    Sorry, this really isn't clicking.

9. Sep 22, 2011 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might find it easier to consider the problem in reverse: starting from rest, a car undergoing constant acceleration reaches a speed of 15 m/s at a distance of 45 m.

RGV

10. Sep 22, 2011 #9

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you asking about the "-5" ? Acceleration is any change in velocity, so slowing down is a negative acceleration (what people also called a "deceleration"). The calculations of motion can be done with positive or negative accelerations; the ability to work out the velocity and position functions does not depend on the sign of a(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook