Deriving Equation (2) from Equation (1)

• Thread starter Gu Jianjun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the problem is asking how to get equation (2) from equation (1), and the solution involves using Leibniz' rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Specifically, the first two terms on the right hand side come from the chain rule and the last term comes from taking the derivative inside the integral.
Gu Jianjun
recently, I study a research paper, and a problem confuse me, so i need help:

q(t,x)=z(t,x)+\int_t^T{k(\tau, t) z(\tau, x) d\tau } (1)

and q_t=z_t+\int_t^T{k_t(\tau, t) z(\tau, x) d\tau }- k(t,t)z(t) (2)

problem: how to according to (1) can get (2) ? please give me detailed process, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking, from
[tex]q(t,x)= z(t,x)+ \int_t^T\left(k(\tau,t)z(\tau,x)\right)d\tau[/tex]
how do you get
[tex]\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial z}{\partial t}+ \int_t^T\left(k_t(\tau,t)z(\tau,x)\right)d\tau - k(t,t)z(t)[/tex]

I hope the [itex]\partial z/\partial x[/itex] part at the front is obvious. The rest of it is from "Leibniz' rule"
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} F(t,x) dt\right)= \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}F(\beta(x),x)- \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}F(\alpha(x),x)+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial F(x,t)}{\partial x} dt[/tex]
The first two terms of the right hand side are derivable from the "fundamental theorem of calculus" together with the chain rule. The third term is just taking the derivative inside the integral.

In your case, the "[itex]\beta(x)[/itex]" is a constant, T, so its derivative is 0. The "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" is t so its derivative is 1. That's where "-k(t,t)z(t)" comes from.

thank HallsofIvy very much , this is an important formula, I could not thought of it, oh, my god !

Related to Deriving Equation (2) from Equation (1)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. In other words, it tells us how much a quantity is changing at any given point.

Why is it important to know how to get the derivative?

Knowing how to get the derivative is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex functions. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the process for finding a derivative?

The process for finding a derivative involves using a mathematical formula called the derivative rule, which varies depending on the form of the function. This formula calculates the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph of the function.

What are the different methods for finding a derivative?

There are several methods for finding a derivative, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. These methods are used to find the derivative of different types of functions.

How can I check if my derivative is correct?

You can check if your derivative is correct by taking the derivative of the function using a different method and comparing the results. You can also use graphing software or online calculators to verify your answer.